Author Topic: Who are the parents, problem?  (Read 4454 times)

Offline djf86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Who are the parents, problem?
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for John Anderson's parents (b. Nov 11, 1801, Kenmore). I know their names were John Anderson & Christian Campbell.

Here's what it says:"Kenmore, Perth. Nov 11th 1801, John son of John Anderson and Chritian Campbell in Middle Claonlawer was baptised" (Hard to read and no occupation listed :'()

Now I found two possible marriage date for for the parents. 16 FEB 1793 & 17 JAN 1796, both in Kenmore. I thought maybe one date was the marriage date, and the other the registered date. But this is not the case. There was 2 different couples with the exact same name, living in the same town at the same time.

Here are the children that belongs to either families:
i. MARGUARET ANDERSON, b. December 19, 1793, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland.
ii. JANET ANDERSON, b. August 13, 1795, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland.
iii. DUNCAN ANDERSON, b. October 14, 1796, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland.
iv. DONALD ANDERSON, b. November 5, 1796, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland.
v. ANN ANDERSON, b. October 19, 1798, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland.
vi. JAMES ANDERSON, b. January 6, 1800, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland.
vii. JOHN ANDERSON, b. November 11, 1801, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland
viii. ARCHIBALD ANDERSON, b. July 8, 1811, Kenmore, Perthshire, Scotland

The birth or christening of Duncan and Donald, prove that there was 2 families. So some of the children belongs to the first family and some belong to the second family.

How to sort this out?

Dave

PS: If this help I have the names of John Jr's (b. 1801) children & His wife's parents.
Blampied in Jersey, Kelling in Jersey, Harper in Worcester, Anderson in Perthshire, Campbell in Perthshire, Foster in Devon, Penberthy in Cornwall, Taylor in NYorkshire

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the parents, problem?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a long shot, and may be difficult, but, if you can find the names of the parents of both sets of the parents who had all these children, you might be able to apply the 'naming conventions' principle.

The first son was usually the father's father's name
Second Mother's father's name
Third Father's name
First daughter usually mother's mother's name
Second father's mother's name
Third Mother's name
Others assorted uncles and aunts...

This doesn't always work but worth a try.  If there is no more info on the original parish entry.......

You could also try looking at the 1841 census and see if any of the children were still living with their parents and see which children are grouped together, although they would probably have left home by then.  May give additional info though.

I hate coincidences like this!  Good luck
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 04 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Another way of trying to sort it out is to sort them into columns.  Put Margaret down as a child of couple No. 1 since the others were not married by this time and I'd also put Janet down as theirs. Duncan and Donald are a bit more difficult to sort out.  Ann could belong to either.  It is likely that James and John  belong to different families.  Archibald could belong to either.  The gap between children was often 2 - 3 years, but you have the problem that this doesn't seem to be happening.  I would say that James and Ann do not belong in the same family simply because there is only 15 months between the baptisms.  So I would put John and Ann together.  Beyond this I wouldn't like to say. 

I know burials are sometimes difficult to find, but have you checked to see when John or Christian died?  The other thought is does the place of residence ever get mentioned in the records - is there any consistency in it?  The parish of Kenmore covers approximately 100 sq miles of countryside and small hamlets or farms are often mentioned to indicate where the couple came from. Have a look at the genuki entry for Kenmore:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/PER/Kenmore/index.html

Good luck

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 December 04 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Interesting conundrum.

Where are the birth dates from?  Could it be possible that these are baptismal dates rather than birth dates? 

It is fairly common to baptise children when they are older.

Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline djf86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 December 04 16:11 GMT (UK) »
They are baptism.
Blampied in Jersey, Kelling in Jersey, Harper in Worcester, Anderson in Perthshire, Campbell in Perthshire, Foster in Devon, Penberthy in Cornwall, Taylor in NYorkshire