Author Topic: British Isles Vital Records Index help  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Isles Vital Records Index help
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 12:38 BST (UK) »
I bought the latest version of the above in December and have been very pleased with it until the other day when it when it clogged up everything, and I got the usual 'this program is not responding'.  I have been in touch with Family Search LDS by email and have tried to follow their instructions to sort the problem.
They say I have to update,with a patch, from 4.0 to 4.02.  Now after 3 lots of emails, both ways, they want me to phone them, in the states I imagine, and allow them to hook up to my computer.  I feel very disinclined to allow this.  Can I have your opinion on this please?  Also any further instructions or advice that might help.  As I've said I was finding a lot of info and now I'm lost!
Regards Abiam

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Isles Vital Records Index help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 12:48 BST (UK) »
Are you able to get the main screen up at all?

If so, go to Help on the menu bar and choose about Viewer or RF Viewer.

I would have hoped that you get the box below, which shows the version and date.  Because I thought that 4.02 was included as a patch on BVRI2 - I can't think how else I got it!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
Abiam- this probably won't solve your problem but I also had difficulties with BVRI. Had version 1 and then purchased version 2. When I went to install that it kept asking for a disk (Resource File Viewer 3.0) which I did not have, to uninstall. Lots of emails back and forth for a while and was told there were 2 versions (3.0 & 3.02). Explained once again that I'd never had either version of these. Finally sent me a copy of each disk and I was able to sort it out. Think I would just get in touch again and ask them to send you the disk instead of phoning them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
Little Nell,
Thank you for that.  I got the 4.0 when I bought it and as I said it worked fine.  Is it because they've added more info that the program needs updating?
I can't understand why they don't just send me the updated 4.02 and I really do not want to give them access.  I'll email again and see what happens.
Regards Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 18:45 BST (UK) »
aghadowey
 I think I replied to your message via Little Nell!  Apologies to both.  I am going to ask the, LDS, to send me the updated viewer.  Will let you know what happens,
Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
Little Nell,
Sorry about the confusion.  I cannot find the picture you show, they have mentioned a patch to update but their instructions didn't work.  So I will email and ask for the new viewer,
Thanks Abiam

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
How very confusing.  I bought my copy when it was first published five years ago.  I had to re-install it just recently on a new PC.  I've never had to obtain a new Viewer disc for 4.02.

There is an answer to this question in the FAQ section of the website.  This is the link:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01dt/

It certainly seems to imply that the upgrade is applied automatically from CD 1 of the set.

Apologies if these are the instructions that you have already followed and that have failed to work.  I confess I am at a loss.  ???

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 21:27 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look at my discs and can confirm that the Viewer supplied on CD is version 4 with the 4.02 update residing on Disc Number 1 ( Births & Christenings A).

If you have already installed version 4 of the viewer the update process should be automatic although you can complete it manually by inserting Disc 1, going to my computer right click on the drive where the CD was placed and select "explore".
You should then see a file Update.exe and double clicking on this should then start the update process manually.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 07:23 BST (UK) »
Little Nell and Falkryn,
Thanks for help and advice.  I thought I'd cracked it this morning!  I went to the LDS address suggested by Little Nell, printed out the instructions and followed them to the letter.  Everything went well, I looked up a couple of births and 1 marriage.... but when I tried marriages for the second time I got Run Time Error followed by loads of numbers and Automation error and Unspecified error!!!!!!!!!
I received an email this morning from Family Research saying that they do not have the facilities to supply the latest 4.02 and I should get back to where I originally bought it.  Fortunately I still have all the details so I shall probably do that.  Before that, I have a friend, a computer buff, coming to see me on Thursday so I'll see if he can sort it for me. 
Once again many thanks for your efforts, Abiam