Author Topic: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly  (Read 23720 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61/71 census look-up, please - Kay - Kildwick/Cononly
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
The 1841 info is terrific. Regarding Margaret, Mary's age of 40 could well have been rounded down as they did with the 1841 census ages. Mary could have been 43/4 and Margaret born when she was 15/16. Not unheard of. My Great Grandmother's Mother was 14 when she had her daughter. Just a thought!

May I ask, would you be kind enough to post the details of 1841. Is Henry on it?

One task now is find the marriage of Joseph and Mary. Assuming she was born c 1798 (hovering around the 40 - 45 age group) Joseph may be roughly the same age.

Happy hunting.

Best regards to all

Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline yorkshirekays

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Joywilt

This is fascinating! Now I know which area they came from, it should help narrow down the search for Joseph Golding Kay's father, also Joseph according to Joseph Golding and Rachel Smalley's marriage certificate. My husband's great-great grandfather was Edward Denton Kay (son of JGK) and this explains where the 'Denton' came from. I still wonder where the 'Golding' comes from. I too would like the full details of the 1841 census if possible.

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Abbot Street record does seem to be a bit of a puzzle. Margaret seems too old to have been born of the same parents as Joseph, and why is Henry recorded as Brother in Law?
I am becoming more convinced that Margaret is in fact Mary Ann Edmondson for whom I can find no reference for in 1851.
Whereas a search for Margaret in 1841 produces Mary Ann,  same age;same children;same birth years.
There is a 'Kildwick' Margaret listed in 1841, married to Thomas, but they have no children.

As a wild theory, what if the Kays went to stay with the Edmondsons rather than the other way about? With Joseph assuming Head of Household in the absence of Margaret/Mary's husband john, who worked as a house servant in Kildwick?
Then if Margaret/Mary was the sister of Rachel, she would be the Sister in Law of Joseph, and Henry would be the Brother in Law of the Edmondsons

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Oh by the way,
I had a look at a survey map 1870's of Haughton Green Nr. Stockport, but no Clog Street. Haughton Green is an area which merges into Denton.

Offline yorkshirekays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
This theory does work. Rachel Smalley (Joseph G Kay's wife) had a sister Mary Ann bapt 7 Feb 1815 in Blackburn, daughter of Joseph Smalley and Mary Smith who were married in St Mary's Blackburn in 1810. They moved to Kildwick around 1823 and Rachel and other siblings were born there. I also puzzled about Henry Kay being Joseph's brother-in-law, but he would be Mary Ann's brother in law! There are lots of Kay's and Smalley's in Blackburn at this time and the link to Kildwick cannot be a coincidence. I also found this site where you can buy a CD of Kildwick's Parish Records which might be of interest.

http://www.webs.cowlingweb.co.uk/cravenindexes/indexcd.html

Offline arden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 July 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi YorkshireKays,
Thank you for that. I am now satisfied that Margaret is Mary Ann. You have also given me Mary Ann's maiden name, and as a bonus the details of her parents.
Much appreciated,
thanks again

Arden

Offline Joywilt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 July 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
hi yorkshirekays
sorry not got back to you, been away.
The 1841 census shows:
Mary Kay age 40
Joseph Kay age 20 (our Joseph Golding Kay)
Eliza Kay age 20
No Professions but shown as "Ind" (i.e. living by independent means). Intriguing!?
All born in the same county (i.e. Lancashire)
The address is shown as Clog Street, Haughton Green.
Remembering that in the 1841 census ages were rounded down Mary born c1797-1821,,Joseph and Eliza born c1817-1820
An old map shows Haughton Green surrounded  by coal pits and farming..Haughton Green and Denton were the same area from 1894.
(The 1841 census shows Unison Street as being the street before Clog Street and I wonder if they were demolished later to make way for new development as I can't find any reference to them as yet)
I too wonder where Golding came from as not all offspring had this name, my grandmother, the only one of 10, having this name. I am hoping to gleen info from a cousin of my mother shortly.

Offline Joywilt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 27 July 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
Re the Edmunsons
The 1851 census has a column headed :"whether blind or deaf/dumb" under which a tick has been scored against the names of Rachael and all of Margaret's children. Wondered what this meant if any significance.
Joyce

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 July 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know whether it is correct or not but I found the marriage of a Joseph Kay to Mary Hope 05 Apr 1819 at Manchester Cathedral. This ties in with the birth of Joseph and Eliza c 1821.

Best regards

Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire