Author Topic: Freemans school, Wellingborough  (Read 3973 times)

Offline mafsef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Freemans school, Wellingborough
« on: Tuesday 27 March 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone provide me with a potted history of the Freeman endowed school in Wellingborough. I believe there may be some family connection as I had ancestors in Irchester around 1550.
Thanx.
Alan
Topping, Mulholland.
Lisburn, Maze.

Offline Ose_jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Freemans school, Wellingborough
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm from Wellingborough.  Freemen's school is still in Wellingborough.  If it's the school I think it is, it's on the corner of Brickhill Road and Westfield Road.  Maybe you could contact them directly.  Unfortunately I don't know anyone who attended that school.

Jo

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 08 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Freemans School in Wellingborough is an endowed Church of England junior school which was endowed by John Freeman in 1711.  It thus seems unlikely to have involved your family in 1550.

I haven't looked but I am sure you would find more details in British History On-line

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DEANO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 March 08 20:45 GMT (UK) »
The old Freeman's endowed Church of England junior school in Wellingborough stood in Oxford Street and was pulled down and was replaced by the Morrisons superstore.

The other Freeman's school you mentioned in you message on the corner of Westfield & Brickhill was the old Westfield senior school and that took its new name from the old one when decommissioned

I attended the old school from 1954 till 1958 but the only thing I can recall was the old caretaker who we called strangely ‘Mr Freeman‘, he had only one arm.

Chelveston,Dean,Irthlingborough.Wellingborough,Ringstead-Kettering-Desborough-Raunds-Higham Ferrers-Raunds
Northants,Nourish-York-Pentelow-Pentlow-Fox-Dickens-Allen-Miller-Bridge-Dainty-Bailey
Huntingdonshire,Humphrey-Mumford-Bailey
Bedfordshire, Lewis-Bradley
Buckinghamshire-Wright

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
For anyone (still) interested in this school and it's history ...
a book 'Freeman's School Wellingborough 1711-2011' by Hannah Mawer has just been published.

Only 100 copies have been produced, with all proceeds going to Freeman's Academy and Wellingborough Museum.

Full details ...  www.mawer.clara.net/zfree.html
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017