Author Topic: Alton  (Read 6164 times)

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
Re: Alton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 March 07 09:29 BST (UK) »
Bravo, Jane!   

Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 07 11:47 BST (UK) »
janeh

What can I say but a huge thank you!  I knew none of this at all.
I have to admit that I haven't yet come across George Pearce!

I have a Gordon Joseph Pearce who was described as "wooden wareman" in the 1901 census and he lived in Alton. He was born in 1872 in Great Missenden, Bucks.  He was the brother of my great grandfather, Ernest Henry Pearce.  As far as I can see, his father was Daniel Pearce and mother Frances Gilbert.....I have a list of the other children but no George...as yet.

I'd love to see the relevant Alton Papers.  Is this something I can purchase at the museum?

The Pearce family appear to have been huge and I find them in graveyards all over the Chesham/Missenden areas but I am having difficulty working out which is which! I'll get there in the end and I am grateful for the clues you have supplied......I would never have found that out by myself!

I do have the Pearce family Bible and although it makes mention of Daniel, Frances and my great grandfather, it doesn't mention any others. I suppose that they lost contact with the side of the family who moved to Alton.

Again, please accept my grateful thanks for this information...it really is appreciated.
Sturman, Shirley, Pearce, Gilbert, Austin, Pangborn, Hill, Dwight
All from Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Offline janeh

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 07 12:56 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help. Alton Papers costs £3 + 50p p&p. Send to me at 82 The Butts, Alton. Hants GU34 1RD and I will send it on. I know of a couple of people who are related to the Pearces and Rodwells. Yours Jane.

Offline pete1789

• RootsChat Member
  • Joseph and Rosamond's wedding, 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 March 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
As a footnote to Jane's reply, Pearce's sawmill was famous for its association with Samuel Cody, the aviation pioneer who was based at Farnborough. From 1901 onwards, he patented and built many 'kites' some capable of lifting men, as well as gliders and aircraft. He was killed in a flying accident in 1913. Pearces made wooden rings for his kites and so played a part in British aviation history.
The Story of Alton by CW Hawkins (1973) supplied the reference to the link between Pearce's sawmill and Cody. It also gives a lot of information about the town and how it developed.
Best wishes

Pete
Bishop : Dorset/Guernsey
Blake : Devon/Guernsey
Priaulx : Guernsey
Spencer : Gloucestershire/Hereford
Davis : Hereford
Hammond : Middlesex
Wellings : Middlesex
So far...
All census information:Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janeh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 March 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
I see that Gordon was living at 9 Old Acre Road in 1901 which was not far from the saw mill. He had married Agnes Mary Booker in the December quarter of 1899. The marriage was not at either the old parish church, St.Lawrence’s, or the new one near to the mill, All Saints’. I think that his occupation was "woodenware man" in meaning as the mill made so many different wares.
When Gordon was buried in Alton cemetery on 28 December 1908, he was described as a ‘machinist’ aged 37. He was buried in unconsecrated [ie unconsecrated by the CoE] ground by Rev A Brooks. I am wondering if Gordon attended the Salvation Army? In the 1906 local directory, 13 Old Acre Road was occupied by Miss Brooks, Lieut., Salvation Army. The head of the household of 9 Old Acre Road in 1906 was Albert Booker - possibly Agnes’ brother?
The 1881 census shows that Agnes, aged 7, and Albert, aged 1, were the children of William and Fanny Booker of Bow Street and that William was ‘Machinest Saw Mill’ - when it was attached to the SA. Even if Gordon was not a member of the SA, his wife possibly was.
Did Gordon and Agnes have any family? Yours Jane.
George of the Saw Mills was born in 1857, I believe, and his wife was Ellen Hawkes.

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 March 07 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again! I'll write to you next week because I would like a copy of the relevant paper.

As far as I am aware, Gordon and Agnes had no children although Gordon had three brothers - Albert (b1870), Ernest Henry (b 13/4/1876) and Euan (or Evan) born in 1878. There was also a sister (Agnes) born in 1874.  They were all born in the Gt Missenden area.
Their parents were Daniel who was born in Gt Missenden in 1844 and he died, according to the family Bible on June 14th 1913. He married Frances Gilbert at Gt Missenden Parish Church on November 24th 1868. She died at Gt Missenden on February 7th 1894.  Apart from Ernest Henry marrying Sophie Gilbert (and I have quite a lot on her side), I know nothing more about the Pearce family. According to the marriage certificate (which I have) Ernest Henry was a farmer - a tenant farmer at Hyde Heath, Bucks. His landlord was Sir Frank Morgan, Managing Director of the Prudential Assurance Company.  Apart from Gordon, the other Pearce's seem to have stayed in Buckinghamshire although Euan (Evan) is a bit of a mystery after 1901.

Again, I'm afraid I know nothing about any link to the Salvation Army but wouldn't rule it out. There is certainly a strong tradition of non conformity running through the family.

I'm sure you are right, there was a George Pearce born about 1857 and his wife was called Ellen so that makes sense. Curiously, I've found a John Pearce (b1805) lodging with a family of Rodwells at Lee Common (1871 census). I suspect that there must be ties between the two families but will need to investigate this further. I've recently beed contacted by someone who has some connection with the Rodwell family and I'm sure he will get back to me in time.

I live about an hours drive from where most of my ancestors originated from and was a little disappointed to find no Pearce graves at Gt Missenden - I found others that were useful to me - but about 20 buried at Lee....I've noted them but don't as yet see where they fit in.

As I'm sure you know there are a lot of Pearce's in that area of Buckinghamshire and trying to work out  which belongs to which is probably the most challenging thing I've looked at yet.

I'll take a closer look at George and see if I can see anything obvious.....he was probably related to Gordon (maybe an Uncle).

Once again, I really do appreciate your help on this one.  Thank you.

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 March 07 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I think I'm a little overwhelmed by the wonderful responses from all you very kind people. You have collectively set me off on a new line of enquiry which I'm sure will lead to the tea rooms in Alton at some point in the coming months.
What an amazing thing this is! I came to a full stop with another branch of the family and then discovered why I couldn't find them after 1841. They drowned when their emigrant ship to Australia sunk in 1845! 
I also discovered that my 4th cousin is Elton John....I still didn't get an invite to his 60th though!

Thank you all for your help.

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 April 07 14:33 BST (UK) »
Janeh

Thanks...the Alton Papers arrived this morning. I very much appreciate the time and trouble youv'e taken to send it to me.
I don't know Nigel Richardson but I assume he too is descended from one of the families who left Bucks to work in the Mill.  It's certainly an interesting chapter in my family history and I shall enjoy reading the booklet.
Again, many thanks.

Ian

Offline janeh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 April 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
Your are very welcome. Do get in touch if I can be of more help. Your Jane.