Author Topic: 1881 & 91 Coventry - ANGLISS Can anyone help please?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline sarahjane412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 & 91 Coventry - ANGLISS Can anyone help please?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 June 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
Sharon

You are an absolute star!  There is even a few completely new people for me - though it is rather sad that it is because they are children who were born and died between censuses.

I was actually born and brought up in Cov but moved 'oop north' to Yorkshire 15 years ago.  I only get to go back a couple of times a year to visit the folks (and squeeze in a bit of research, but not too much or my mum will think that's all I go back for!).

William Pitman C's Susannah married Ralph Smyth who in 1881 was 'Gilder Printseller & Tailor Master Employing 13 Men 3 Boys' He had a shop in High Street. 
Another of his daughters Mary married Walter Claridge and they had the Craven Arms Hotel in High Street (I haven't worked out which of the banks down high street was built on that site!)  From what I remember their grave is also in London Road just behind Sophia and WP's - which I managed to walk past 3! times (and it's right by the path) before I saw the great big letters SOPHIA COLLINGBOURNE on a great big hulking stone plinth!!

William Pitman C made his fortune as a Pawnbroker and Clothier and on the A2A National Archives site there are many references to him, & his son William Pitman Jr.  The property sales on Jr's death in 1902 included nos. 8 and 9 Much Park St, nos. 16 and 17 Broadgate, no. 12 Warwick Row; no. 7 Much Park St,  no.10 Much Park St.; nos. 14, 16, 18, 20 Cope St, Fernilee in Warwick Row. Also, premises in Much Park St. and Summerland Butts, Coventry, late belonging to W.P.Collingbourne the elder.  Not bad considering WP the elder was a Boot & Shoemaker in 1841  :o  :o

My poor family, weavers mostly - moving into the watch and cycle industry later - were pretty much based around Hillfields.  3 G Grandad Thomas was only 3 years old when his father (also a weaver) died, WP and the eldest son Henry were in their early teens. 

There aren't that many Collingbournes around at all so they are a nice bunch to be researching.  2 G Grandad Thomas did manage to marry a BROWN though!

I need to get busy entering all the info you have found into my family file so I'd better stop wittering on!

Thanks again

Sarah

Coventry - BROWN, COLLINGBOURNE, SPENCER
Lancashire - NICHOLAS, JACKSON, HARRISON
Isle of Man - SAYLE, COWLEY
Durham - ANDERSON, HINDSON, LEIGHTELL, ROBINSON, ROBSON, STEWART
Yorkshire - MILNES, FIRTH, HUDSON

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cov2811

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 June 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
hi sarah
Im Coventry born and breed and am still in coventry today as I said my tree is getting to be a pain so have decided to research places address  and burials etc for now. Heres some more info for you if i come accross anything I will let you know if you need any help give us a shout

Susannah of Earl Street Father William Pitman Collingbourne married Ralph Smyth Carver & Gilder Father Henry Smyth who was a Agent also of earl Street In Feb 1848

Sophia age 23 of Much Park street father William Pitman Collingbourne (pawnbroker) married
John Weddle - Gentleman
Father Thomas Weddle a widow age 44 Nov 1854 St Micheal Coventry
Witnesses  William Pitman And Mary Ann Collingbourne

Not sure about this one
08 Sept 1863 William Pitman Collingbourne a widower (farmer) abode broadlane Stoneleigh father Henry Collingbourne (weaver)
married
Mary Mallaber a widow same abode
St Johns Baptist Stoneleigh

As you mentioned a David Collingbourne could these be yours?
Baptism St mark Coventry
15/7/1896 Reginald Harry Collingbourne
11/7/1897 Irene Collingbourne
4/1/1899 Doris sarah Collingbourne
Parents David Charles & Sarah Jane Collingbourne of Eagle street coventry

Ok Burials
Smyth
27 July 1914  Susannah           age 91
8 Feb 1925    Clara Sussanah  Age 84
16 Jan 1883   Ralph                  Age 58 of High Street
Fredrick George                        Age 10 of High Street

Grave purchased by Ralph Collingbourne Vault Grave   Square 43 Grave 1
Thats it off now to finish Garden
Sharon

Foxon, Lucas, Wells, Brentnall,Gutteridge,Cripps,Haly, Malin mainley from Coventry and Leicestershire

Offline sarahjane412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 June 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Sharon

The William Pitman one is WP the elders second marriage.  The couple were 65 and 62 and there was even a prenup! "If he dies first, his wife is to have £600 (the value of her estate); should she die first £600 was to go to her next of kin unless she had otherwise directed."  Thanks for confirming his father was named Henry!

David Collingbourne's family's story is rather sad.  They had 4 children, Bert, Reggie, Irene and Doris.  Reggie died aged 11 months. David's wife Sarah died in 1898 aged 30 (complications from childbirth), Then in 1916 Bert died in France in the War (age 23) and Doris died just over a year later in 1817.

I know just what you mean about it being a pain.  I have to take some time out every now and then and try to ignore the names to concentrate on places and general social history.  The go back to it all with a fresh eye.  I had no interest in history at school - all wars and kings and dates, and have realised now that I am interested - but more in what life was like for 'ordinary' people.  You know, what kind of life would I have had... though from my lot the answer seems to be that I would be popping out babies every 18 months for 20 years so I don't envy my female ancestors at all!! 

What are your names in Coventry - unlikely that there's any link but you never know!

Hope you got the gardening done in the breaks between the rain.  Lovely summer were having!

Sarah

Offline cov2811

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 June 07 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi sarah
Glad info was of help

Im from Tile Hill, a lot of the family I'm researching 1800 were  from Hillfields or the center of town
Im looking at burials at present and had my first trip to London Road today with my friend we managed to locate 2 of my graves and 1 of hers. we are hoping to go back and clean them up next week and hopefully find some more.  Some of the graves are in a real sad state which is a shame

Have you ever looked up Bert on on CWCG I have manged to find a few relatives on there
Regards sharon
Foxon, Lucas, Wells, Brentnall,Gutteridge,Cripps,Haly, Malin mainley from Coventry and Leicestershire

Offline sarahjane412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 June 07 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I spent a whole afternoon in London Road last year - I forgot quite how BIG it is.  So many of the stones are damaged or had been laid down as they were in danger of falling (I was convinced that mine would be the ones that had fallen face down ;D).  I even climbed up some of the steep bits to look at the stones hidden away in the very scratchy bushes!!  So many of the older stones just seem very lonely and sad, like they have been forgotten. 

Most of my lot would probably not have been able to afford a stone, but I hate to think they may be the ones that can't be read anymore.

My first clues about Bert were from a random search on CWCG!  It led to my best (so far) discovery.  I don't know if this link will work but you can try copying and pasting if not.   

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,171028.0.html

Sarah