Author Topic: Parsonstown Offaly Baptism Look-up Please  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Parsonstown Offaly Baptism Look-up Please
« on: Thursday 29 March 07 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I don't know if it is possible but I thought I would ask..................

I am trying to find a Baptism of Ethel Derevell Hargreaves who was born on 03 November 1873 in Parsonstown Offaly.

Her parents were Charles and Mary Jane Hargreaves.

Charles who was born in Stoke Upon Trent in Staffordshire was in the Military so they may of been living on or near a Military Depot at the time of her birth.

If her baptism can not be located, was there also a church in Parsonstown Offaly around the time of Ethel's birth?

I will look forward to any replies.

Kind Regards
Wendy

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Parsonstown Offaly Baptism Look-up Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy,

You had me confused for a moment as I wondered where the heck is Parsonstown in Offaly. I did a search and discovered that Birr and Parsonstown are the same place and there was a military barracks in Birr. Do you know the name of the regiment in which Charles was a soldier? I think Ethel would have been baptised in a church in Offaly although as I have noticed similar queries about the children of soldiers being baptised in Ireland I'm beginning to wonder about baptisms in chapels in the barrack grounds. 

Christopher

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

how lovely to hear from you!!! I am sorry that I had you confused, it took me along while to realize that Birr and Paronstown were the same plac.

All I know is that, Charles Hargreaves was a Colour Sergeant with the Rifle Brigade.
He was at one point in time, stationed at Whittington Barracks Military Depot in Staffordshire, England.

Do you know that name of the Military Depot in Birr at the time Charles was there and do you think it is possible to find Ethel's Baptism?

Cheers
Wendy

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,Theere,
You might like to contact St. Brendans Church of Ireland , Emmet Street, Birr, or Birr Methodist Church they may have a record of the baptism.  I think there was alsoa Church of Ireland Church in Crinkle at one stage too. The Rector of St. Brendans may be able to help you  in this regardgood luck.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
will a civil birth record do ?

Name: Ethel Hargraves
Reg district: Parsonstown
Record type: Birth
date : 1873
Volume: 18 / page: 600

from familysearch Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

see the GRO website at : www.groireland.ie

send the details above (with the fee) and they will send you a copy of the civil register - which is a photocopy of the original document.

the nearest military facility to Birr seems to be 'Crinkle barracks' which was about one mile to the south of the town.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline SueStewart7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the birth of Daniel Horne in Biff, Parsontown at the time of his birth about 1806-1811.  Can anyone help?  I would like to see when he was born and how his parents were.
Thank you!
Sue

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
To start a  search for a baptism for Daniel you have to know what denomination your Horne family were. Once you know this you can check to see if records are available for the dates you need.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

not sure about the other location you mentioned 'Biff' ... maybe that should be Birr ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline SueStewart7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Definitely Birr .. Sorry
Not sure of denomination but don't think he was Catholic.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
If they were Church of Ireland (equivalent to Church of England) then you might be in luck as the records for the CofI parish of Birr/Parsonstown go back to 1760. As far as I can establish the records for this parish are available in the National Archives, Dublin on microfilm.

The pay-website of Irish Family History Foundation / RootsIreland have transcripts of this parish. Note : early records are often very basic. In this case the record and transcript would possibly only show - date of baptism, name of the child, father's name and possibly mother's first name.

Shane
My Surname Interests