Author Topic: Looking for WW1 Death, Australian Soldier, McGowen.  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for WW1 Death, Australian Soldier, McGowen.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 March 13 18:02 GMT (UK) »

Does anyone on here know...

Is it possible to download Service Records as PDF's from the Australian Archives Site?

I've found Joseph Henry McGowen, - but I can't seem to save his record:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

No, you can't, is the short answer.  To get a full copy you would have to contact the NAA and pay a charge to get it on disk and/or a hard copy printout.
You can save the pages one by one to your computer - instructions are here: http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Help/HelpImagine.htm

Prue

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for that Prue.

It is an amazing achievement to digitalise those records and put them on-line, - and so I shall just have to put up with the long winded method of downloading them!

And after all... the WW1 soldier that I was looking for didn't die in the conflict. There was a far more prosaic reason for his vanishing...  he was already married, and returned to his wife in Australia in 1919.

Many thanks for the help,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Ah!  Well, he wouldn't be the only one.  We were just talking in the lab* the other day about a WW1 file with several letters from a young lady desperate to contact an already married soldier because she was having his child - they were never forwarded on to him  :-\ :'( - and remembering others like it that we've seen over the years.

(*conservation lab at the NAA)

Once you have all the images downloaded there might be a way to turn them into contiguous pages of a PDF document - the Technical Help board boffins might know a way to do it :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 March 13 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Ah!  Well, he wouldn't be the only one.  We were just talking in the lab* the other day about a WW1 file with several letters from a young lady desperate to contact an already married soldier because she was having his child - they were never forwarded on to him  :-\ :'( - and remembering others like it that we've seen over the years.
(*conservation lab at the NAA)
Once you have all the images downloaded there might be a way to turn them into contiguous pages of a PDF document - the Technical Help board boffins might know a way to do it :)

I can't help wondering how horrified some of them would have been at the thought of all their info been digitalised and available on-line!! (Disappearing back to Oz after WW1 must have been the 21st Century equivalent of taking off to the dark side of the moon:-)

Romilly  :)
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »

I'm just re-visiting this research after DNA Testing, - and am again trying to access the WW1 Record for Joseph Henry McGowen. I'm not having any success, can anyone on here please point me in the right direction please?

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Assume you are using this link to his service record: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1944654&isAv=N
So right click on Page 1, scroll down to "save image as" and it will save as a jpeg file in My Documents.
You can then do page 2,3, etc. Open in Windows Live Photo Gallery. Then you can look at his record sequentially.
Other option is to print each page, but as some are blank or repeated you could select the ones you want.
shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Assume you are using this link to his service record: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1944654&isAv=N
So right click on Page 1, scroll down to "save image as" and it will save as a jpeg file in My Documents.
You can then do page 2,3, etc. Open in Windows Live Photo Gallery. Then you can look at his record sequentially.
Other option is to print each page, but as some are blank or repeated you could select the ones you want.
shume   australia

Sessions expire on NAA and and the link on shume's post has timed out so I suggest you do the following

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

> Use Records Search to search our collection
> Enter his name in the Keywords and search
> Click on Digitised Item and then right click on each page and save.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks shume and cando.

Yes, I was looking for a Service Record, - to confirm that this soldier was in the UK during the right time period. Service Record now found. I'm still trying to work out where he was 9 months before August 1918(!)

I can't make out what the last Entry at the end of the page is? Can anyone on here read it please?

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching: