Author Topic: HOGGAN  (Read 66056 times)

Offline RoseCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOGGAN
« on: Monday 29 November 04 08:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm in quite a mess with the Hoggan tree.  My grandfather Alexander Hoggan, I have three birth years for May 27, 1871 or 2 or 4.  LDS records indicate 1872 and that his parents were Catherine Logan and John Hoggan.  I was happy with that!  Then I ran into a very distant cousin (maybe) who has researched a fair amount and has different children for Catherine and John, and definitely no Alexander.  We do agree on the eldest son Robert Sneddon Hoggan 1856.  Alexander Hoggan married Christina Hunter...that I'm sure of, and Alexander had a brother Andrew as they came to Canada together.  If the LDS records are correct then family lived in Bothkennar and Denny.  If anyone can offer any assistance I could stop chewing the ends off pencils!
HOGGAN, LOGAN, SNEDDON, SNADDON, HUNTER, COOK

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HOGGAN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 17:30 GMT (UK) »
This looks like your Hoggan family in 1881 census

Dwelling:   Haggs
   Census Place:   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203537     GRO Ref    Volume 476-2    EnumDist 2    Page 7
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
John HOGGAN   M   50    M   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Coal Miner
Catherine HOGGAN   M   50    F   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
John HOGGAN   U   24    M   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Rel:   Son
Andrew HOGGAN       10    M   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Occ:   Scholar
Alexander HOGGAN       8    M   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Occ:   Scholar

This could possibly be Robert in 1881

Dwelling:   Haggs
   Census Place:   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203537     GRO Ref    Volume 476-2    EnumDist 2    Page 7
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Robert HOGGAN   M   24    M   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
Margaret HOGGAN   M   20    F   Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
   Rel:   Wife
John HOGGAN       1    M   Denny, Stirling, Scotland
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoseCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 04 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Capricorn! It is likely that the Robert you found is the eldest son (well, according to LDS anyway) of John and Catherine.  It's very strange that the John listed as a son in the census doesn't show up anywhere else.

Have you used the scottishpeople site?  What should I go for first: birth, death, marriage?

Thank you for your kindness.

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 04 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread...

I use Scotlandspeople quite a lot and find it a wonderful site... addictive because of the accessibility to the records...

If it was me i would check the births first... then marriages then deaths also you can look at the images of the census there too...

the Best of luck in your search

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline RoseCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 04 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Butt in all you want, Mo!  And Scotlandspeople is where I was tonight.  Had quite a bit of difficulty loading the pages, but in the end got my grandparents marriage certificate and birth certificates.

Next question:  In parish records I can get dates for older marriages...that's great...but there was no image...if I "order" would I actually get a certificate with parents listed.

I'm out of credits for tonight, but will be at it again!

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 04 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, OPR marriage certs. don't  have parents names, most you can expect from these are  date of marriage, or date it was contracted; names of parties; place or parishes of residence. does,nt even give ages, at least none of the ones I got did.
Good luck
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 04 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I have never got any of the certs from the older records.... but to know that they are there is wonderful to me...

do let me know how it works if you order any.. I would really be intersted...

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline RoseCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 04 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Mo and Capricorn...

Yes, it is wonderful to know that they are there..unfortunatethat they don't give more info though :-[

I guess I am stuck now unless there's someone who has a more detailed history than I.  I'll fill in the silbings etc. from William Hoggan and Margaret Taylor Hoggan on down that I can, so if anyone needs that, I have it.

I really hope to make a trip to Denny and Bothkennar.....would really love to see the area that all my coal mining and millworking kin came from.

Good luck to you in your searches!

Rosemary

Offline Greydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello My name is Roy Hoggan and I live in South Africa. My grandfather John Raymond Hoggan came to S A during the Anglo Boer war and served with the British forces in a mounted regiment. His grandfather was Major George Henry Welland Hoggan who was born in 1835 and died in England in 1892. My grandfather was born in approximately 1876. He had a grand aunt Eleanor who lived in Midlothian Scotland. My grandfather may have been born in India or South America. His people were apparently Scots who served in India. GHW was in the 17th Bengal cavalry. I would like to know who JR's father was. His mother remarried and was Eva F Rowe. She lived in Brixton London at the beginning of the 20 th century. Any help will be appreciated.