Author Topic: stumped  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Soltown

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
stumped
« on: Friday 05 March 04 22:43 GMT (UK) »
This is what I have, Isabella Little married John Thompson 1852 in Alston,Cumberland. By 1861 they were living in Middleton in Teesdale, Durham along with kiddies Sophia, 4, Walter, 3, Isabel, 1. In 1871 they were in Darlington and Sophia and the dad had vanished, and it was just isabella, widow and 3 kiddies walter 13, Isabel, 11, and Mary Ann, 9. By 1881 they were still in Darlington, Walter too appears to be dead leaving just Isabella and her youngest girls Isabel 20 and Polly 18. Cannot find any of them in 1891 and 1901. An SKS has rummaged through various Darlington parish registers and found no sign of Isabellas death, the only match was one in Easington but I looked at the death register for the only CofE church and she was'nt there!!! Cannot find a fitting marriage for either girl all the ones i've investigated have turned out to be wrong.

I need suggestions or helpppp

George

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re:stumped
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 04 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried freebmd for the deaths.  I tried to look but you didn't say when they were born so I could't tell if they were there.

Walter would probably have left home by 1881 if still alive.

You should also try different spellings

Good luck
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Soltown

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:stumped
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 04 14:37 GMT (UK) »
had a look for Walter on 1881 but could'nt find him. Sophia & Walter were born Alston, the other 2 in Middleton in Teesdale. In 1881 Isabella was 54yrs old.