Author Topic: Gillingham Burials  (Read 5362 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Gillingham Burials
« on: Sunday 01 April 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know where I can find the records for burials at Gillingham Woodlands Road Cemetery and also the Graveyard at St Mary Magdalen on Gillingham Green?  I can't find any info on City Ark.

Any info would be much appreciated :D

KPM
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gillingham Burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 07 07:29 BST (UK) »
The cemetery at Woodlands Road, Gillingham comes under the care of Medway Council.  Unfortunately their site appears to be down at present

www.medway.gov.uk/index/community/burials/cemeteries.htm

Do you mean the old parish church of St Mary Magdalen, Gillingham only I see there are burials on cityark for that parish.  I'm not sure at what date or if the church is closed for further burials.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi

Thanks for the info on Woodlands Rd Cemetery - I'll check out the site once its back on line again.

Not sure about Mary Magdalen church.  I had several relatives who were married and baptised there so I assumed they were also buried there.  The burials on City Ark are quite scarce after about 1867 - perhaps thats when they closed for burials.  I can actually remember walking through the church yard as a child - before they moved all the gravestones and turned it into a children's play ground.  Just wish I had taken a little notice then!!!

I suppose it's quite likely that these relatives could have been buried in Woodland's road.

Thanks for your help

Anne-Marie
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline mikegunnill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 19 14:12 BST (UK) »
Both come under Medway Council but records are stored at Medway Crematorium, Robin Hood Lane, Blue Bell Hill, Chatham ME5 9QU Telephone 01634 337744

They are willing to help with research but prefer an email crematorium.cemeteries @ medway.gov.uk  Provide a date of death/burial and full name. They will make a search for you, they charge £10 for this service. Normally reply with 10 working days.

Edit: thx to BumbleB

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 July 19 03:51 BST (UK) »
There are some early MIs (recorded in 1862) for St Mary's on the Kent Archaelogy site, but the preamble warns that most gravestones have been removed. Sadly, that is the case for many of the listings on K.A., and many of those who made them didn't draw maps.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.