Author Topic: Offer: Cranfield Churchyard Lookups  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Offer: Cranfield Churchyard Lookups
« on: Sunday 01 April 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
I have had so much help from people on these boards and I would like to give something back.
Hardly a look up offer but I do live next to Cranfield Church and would be happy to search for graves in the Churchyard or in the new cemetery opened in about 1990.
Please feel free to ask.

If you have a request, please start a NEW TOPIC on the Beds LOOKUP REQUESTS board or send me a personal message.
Sturman, Shirley, Pearce, Gilbert, Austin, Pangborn, Hill, Dwight
All from Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cranfield Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,

That is a very kind offer. I would be interested to know whether the names: Goff, Bettle, or Rowney appear on any of the headstones. There is no rush, just whenever you have time.

Thanks,

George

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
No problem. I'm sorry but it won't be today but tomorrow or Thursday.

Offline acky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
What a kind offer ,could look up the names of PING and GOFF (GOUGH) family names, when ever you have time.
  ACKY

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 14:38 BST (UK) »
George and Acky

Hi

I finally found time to roam the graveyard and should point out that a significant number of headstones are badly eroded and therefore impossible to read. When I next see the Rector, I will ask if he has any idea of who is buried and where!

However, I did come up with the following:

Mary Ping wife of James Ping who died March 10th 1905 aged 57 and James who died January 23rd 1923 aged 79.

Walter James Bettle who died November 16th 1947 aged 47 and Rose Bettle who died March 11th 1977 aged 77.

There is also an Owen Harry Gough who died May 17th 1965 aged 72. He seems to have been buried with members of the White family.

I've been to a lot of churchyards of late but I don't think I've been to any with so many unreadable inscriptions! I also checked the WW1 memorial board inside the Church just in case.

Sorry not to have found more!  Please pm your email address if you would like the photos.

Ian

Offline acky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
Ian, that is one thing with village life ,one never knows who is who or what branch they came fromthe PING you found is not one of us,can imagine you tearing around the churchyard muttering to yourself.many thanks  ACKY

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 17:01 BST (UK) »
No problem at all.....I took about 40 grave photos over the weekend and found just two that were connected to me!
And I actually enjoyed walking round my "home" churchyard so glad to have helped even if they were the wrong ones!

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,
Thank you for looking, but, unfortunately, I don't believe that they are any of my Bettles. It is a shame that some many inscriptions fade, so much for being "set in stone". I'm pleased that you managed to find some connections.
Kind regards.
George.

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
No doubt when the stones were errected, the families expected they would last forever.
I was talking to someone about these families and they knew of an old lady in the next village (Moulsoe) who is a Bettle - I can try and find out more if you wish?
I will ask the Rector what records he has and will post here if I find anything else.
Sorry I couldn't help more.