Author Topic: Ann FRAY  (Read 5061 times)

Offline scottiow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ann FRAY
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 11:56 BST (UK) »
Would anybody be able to provide me with a lookup for Ann Fray born 1752, Salisbury, married James Tapper 24 Dec 1785.

I am trying to find anything that will give the name of her parents. Also The igi states that her birth and marriage were at Salisbury Cathedral. Was this common?

Thanks in advance,

All the best

scott
Rogers, Swift, Gane, Shellard, Gardner, Fisher, Jones, Wiltshire, Staples, Childs, Drinkwater, Oakley, Holms, Bainton, Ludlow, Tapper, Clark, Hall, Tulliett(Tuttiett), Hiscox, Gordon, King, Mannings (mannams), Hobbs, Grist

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Fray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 April 07 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott,

I can confirm that your marriage took place in the cathedral on that date.   One other piece of information is that James Tapper, at the time, was from the parish of Stratford Sub-Castle.

It is not obvious why the member who submitted the record thought that Ann was born in 1752.    Presumably the member assumed that because she was married in Salisbury she must have been born in Salisbury.   This may be correct but it is unadulterated guesswork.

Best wishes

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline scottiow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 07 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply.  Do you believe it possible then that Ann was not born in Salisbury. Will have to try and find some more out.

Also was the criteria for marriage at a cathedral the same as it is today??

Thanks again

All the best

scott
Rogers, Swift, Gane, Shellard, Gardner, Fisher, Jones, Wiltshire, Staples, Childs, Drinkwater, Oakley, Holms, Bainton, Ludlow, Tapper, Clark, Hall, Tulliett(Tuttiett), Hiscox, Gordon, King, Mannings (mannams), Hobbs, Grist

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 07 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott

Until you see an entry in a parish register of one of the Salisbury churches for Ann Fray, you cannot know that she was born in Salisbury.   It is certain that the member who posted the entry for Salisbury had not seen it in a parish register, otherwise they would have posted the exact date.

The only village, from data available in the IGI, wherein the Fray name occurs is Tisbury which is about 10 mile from Salisbury.   My guess is that your Anne was baptized 20th May 1752 in Tisbury and was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Fray.   Although most of the information for the Frays in Tisbury is from a church member, all the indications are that it has been transcribed from the parish register.

The parish register is available on film from LDS Family History Centres.   It is possible, although unlikely, that the register will indicate who Ann's father was.

Good luck

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline scottiow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 07 20:28 BST (UK) »
Again thank you for your reply.

I agree the Anne Fray you have stated seems very possible. Will try to search for a bit more information but it seems likely to be her.

All the best,

scott

Offline Reginald E.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ann FRAY
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I am new to Roots Chat and have come across the information on Ann Fry and am hoping that the James Tapper who married Ann is the father of another James Tapper born in Sarum in 1785, the same year as the marriage. The yonger James married an Elizabeth, born in Sarum in 1791 and had 2 daughters Caroline and Harriet. Can any one confirm this for me?

Reg.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the registers for Salisbury Cathedral and Stratford-Sub-Castle but there are no baptisms for an Ann(e) Fry or Fray during the period 1748 - 1756.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reginald E.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nigel - have you a record of the surname of Elizabeth who married in 1820 to a James Tapper born 1785 in Salisbury?

Reg.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid I can't find a marriage for a James Tapper to an Elizabeth in 1820 (+/-1 year) at Salisbury Cathedral or at St Thomas, St Edmund or St Martin Churches in Salisbury.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk