Author Topic: Bird Everton  (Read 8880 times)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bird Everton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 December 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Dougie. You aren't allowed to post details of living people or email addresses (see Posting Guidelines in Help pages) but after you've made 3 posts you'll be able to use PM (personal message) system to contact David more directly, exchange family details and email addresses.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 December 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
David,

when i was in Londonderry recently at the grave of my grandparents i had a look at the graves of those nearby as my father had told me they were somethingto do with the political troubles of the 1920's.
Sure enough the one to the right was of a man murdered in 1920, but the one to the left had no stone, however a couple of graves away was one to a Lt Bird Everton of the Dorset regiment died 1920. Son of William Bird Everton of the Isle of White.

Could the fathe be the Ex-RIC man from Tyrone who emigrated?

Hope its of some use. Can get the details from the Commonwealth war Graves web-site of the home address.

Rob

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 December 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,
    In front of me I have the family group sheet of Thomas Everton of Trillick, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. His wife's name was Elizabeth Jane, but no maiden name is apparent.
  There is no record of William Bird Everton on this page but it lists John (1847), Charlotte (1849), Nathaniel - my ancestor (1853), Charles (1851), Susan (1855), Eliza Jane (1860), Marie (1861) and Edward Thomas (1860).
   Nathaniel married Elizabeth Wilson in 1877 and their only child, William Nathaniel Robert Bird Everton was born in London Eng. Apr. 6, 1881 then emigrated to Toronto, Canada and married Margaret Morris. They are buried at Prospect Cemetery in Toronto. Their children were, my Grandmother, Elizabeth Jane (1887), Ernest (1892), Thomas (1900), Jack and Emily. (both younger)
   Elizabeth Jane married Arthur Harold Woods, my grandfather on my Father's side  in 1905 and gave birth to Norman Howard Woods (1908), Erwin Harold Woods (1912) and my father Gordon Douglas (1919)

If think this may be the link you are seeking.

Dougie

Hi Dougie,

Many thanks for getting in contact with me. There certainly appears to be a link there between our families.

It's interesting that your ancestor also had the middle name of Bird. I just wish I could find out what the connection is between the Everton and Bird families.

Kind Regards,

David

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
David,

when i was in Londonderry recently at the grave of my grandparents i had a look at the graves of those nearby as my father had told me they were somethingto do with the political troubles of the 1920's.
Sure enough the one to the right was of a man murdered in 1920, but the one to the left had no stone, however a couple of graves away was one to a Lt Bird Everton of the Dorset regiment died 1920. Son of William Bird Everton of the Isle of White.

Could the fathe be the Ex-RIC man from Tyrone who emigrated?

Hope its of some use. Can get the details from the Commonwealth war Graves web-site of the home address.

Rob

Hi Rob

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact me. My mum is thrilled that you have seen this gravestone and have passed on the details to us.

Lt Bird Everton was the husband of Ethel Dore, they had been married for only 6 months before he was killed. She never married again and family legend has it that the shock of his death turned her hair white overnight. She was a much loved great aunt of my mother.
Interestingly, a brother and sister married the other’s sister and brother. Bird was the brother of my great-grandmother Elsie Everton who married my great-grandfather Archibald Dore, who was the brother of Ethel.

My mum has found out quite a lot of information, including the coroner’s report on the death of Lt Everton. These are her notes:
“Bird, a Lieutenant in the 1st Dorset Regiment was accidentally killed in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, when he was crushed between two lorries.
He was 24 years old and had been married to Ethel for only six months.
He was buried with full military honours at Londonderry City Cemetery.  His widow, mother and brother (an NCO in the Dorsets) were present.  His brother officers were the pall bearers and the Regimental Chaplain (Capt. Jagoe) and Rev. John McCaffrey officiated.
His mother at the time of his death was referred to as Mrs J. Jackman, of 4 Hillcrest Terrace, Hunnyhill, Newport.  After the death of her husband (William Bird Everton) she had remarried.”

Regards

David

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 December 09 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration index lists- Bird Everton (age 30) death Apr.June 1920 Londonderry registration district volume 2 pafe 144.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:17 GMT (UK) »
David,

Speaking to a friend in Londonderry over the holiday and without me asking he has been to the library to have a look at the old papers and found out about Lt Everton.

He is sending copies of them over to me, so if you PM me your address i will forward them on.

It appears that he was a longtime soldier, joining up as a boy even though only 30 when killed he had done 16 years, gone through the war and commissioned from the ranks.

The paper said he was attempting to put a tow rope onto the lorry as it had broke down when the second lorry moved and crushed him.

I think its indicitive of the man that having risen from the ranks he was doing this himself rather than just ordering the men to do it.

Rob

Offline TheThirdPoliceman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 January 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
David

There was a William Everton who served in the RIC.His service number was 33117 which fits in with his DOB.I would suggest you order his service record which is a mine of information.

Michael

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 January 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for the suggestion, but I have already been fortunate enough to find this information.

His record shows he was Sub-Constable William B Everton appointed to the RIC on 20/6/1867, aged 22 years. He was 5' 9 1/4", a Protestant, formerly a farmer and was a native of Tyrone. He resigned on 01/02/1872 “to emigrate”.

Thanks again,

David

Offline DougieW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again David,
   Like you I am still intrigued by the given names of my ancestor, Nathaniel. To continue, as per guidelines, my uncle Norman married Charlotte Ball in 1932. Their son, Norman Edward Woods was born in 1938 and passed away in 2008. His sister, Linda Anne Woods was born in 1941 and passed away in 1969.

DougieW