Author Topic: Morrisons of Boyndie  (Read 1798 times)

Offline lorna rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morrisons of Boyndie
« on: Thursday 05 April 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My gggrandfather was John Morrison born in Boyndie abt 1821 - 1901. He married Ann Watt 1822-1904. His father was James Morrison who died in 1849. His mother was Isabella Taylor 1799 -1876. Isabella appears to be from Grange.
Can anyone tell me where James was born and when?
Muchly appreciated.

Lorna

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Morrisons of Boyndie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 07 17:20 BST (UK) »
theres lots of james morrison's born about 1795 in that area
however there are 2 james morrison's christened in Grange on the following dates:

4 jan 1798
7 may 1798
both with different parents

worth looking into as a starting perhaps

Alison

Ps i found the family on 1841 - i dont know if you have that info?
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline lorna rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 07 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alison,
 For want of proof, I've assumed him to be the James born in Boyndie in 1782 to James and Jannet Ogilvie, with siblings Alexander, John & Margaret.

Yes I have seen the family on the 1841 census. (The farm is Loanhead not Seanhead as someone has translated.)

regards
Lorna

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 00:14 BST (UK) »
...but the ages on the 1841 census dont add up with him being born in 1782 do they?
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline lorna rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,
 That is correct.
I had thought because of the possible sibling in that census, Isobel Morrison (is she a sister and Isobel Taylor the wife? - I should look at that again, it will probably tell me) that James had come from Ordiquhill and that both John's would be cousins, as I had, in my tiny mind, made the connection to the other John Morrison (born around the same time), 1827, as having Alexander Morrison and Jannet Mitchell as parents and that Alexander and James were brothers!

This all goes back to when I first got into doing my family tree last year I had family tree knowledge passed down which conflicted with what someone had put together and posted on ancestry. They had 'claimed' my John, born 1821 as son of Alexander Morrison and Jannet Mitchell.
When I started using the IGI for my research my gut instinct told me that Alexander Morrison and Jannet Mitchell's son was the John born in 1827. And I have since seen that on a parish reel.

Also John, born 1821 has James Morrison and Isobel Brodie as parents. Isobel's mother's maiden name! It just gets more bamboozling.

My father said he wasn't aware of the family not coming from Boyndie but Ordiquhill isn't that far away.

regards
Lorna