Author Topic: Epton Surname  (Read 31405 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Epton Surname
« on: Friday 06 April 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
Epton seems to be a real Lincolnshire surname, although its root may lie in the village of Heptonstall in Yorkshire.

Have traced my family back to early 1500s, in Alford, Lincolnshire, and during the years the family have branched out to many and various places both within and without of the county.

Am interested in hearing for anyone who has an Epton in their family, as my goal has always been to tie all these families up into one great family, which I believe they really are.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Epton Surname
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 07 23:16 BST (UK) »
My father was in business for 26 years and I believe the only person who never settled their bill was called EPTON.  As you have hopes of tying all of the EPTONs together, I assume you will be willing to assume responsibility for this debt ;)

I think there was an EPTON in the year above me at school; looking at the Birth Index, I think he must have been called John.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 07 06:51 BST (UK) »
Fraid not Geoff, Im as potless as the guy who never paid hahaha.

Offline jme1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 01:14 BST (UK) »
I know that my great grandfather Frank Epton, moved from a farm near Louth, south Lincolnshire, to Nottingham. he had 2 wives and many children, my grandfather, Rev. Bernard John Epton was one of the youngest. There is quite an extended family of cousins and second cousins now in the Nottingham/Derby area. I live in Leeds and my parents (Rev. Michael C Epton and Yvonne S Epton (nee Frost)) and siblings are now down in Poole on the south coast. My Grandmother, Doris, is 92 and lives in Birkenhead, Wirral as does my Uncle, Rev. Paul A Epton and his family. I have a cousin, Paul's eldest daughter, a doctor, living out in Singapore, so we do get around. I am only just starting to do research on my family, so I don't know too much yet, but I have read that at least one branch of the Epton's goes back to 1500 and that family went back to the 1100's as the Hebden family.

Jonathan M Epton
Epton

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
Have a Frank Epton born 1901 Louth Reg District, I havent traced back, and a Frank born 1902 Boston Reg District son of Charles Eardley Epton and Lucy Jane Swain (related to me). ... am I in the right timeframe?

oh and you are commenting on research I did with John Hebden who has done a one name study on his surname and included Hepton and Epton as derivatives, about 15 years ago hehehe.  ;)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
Did he marry Alice Mary Collins Louth Reg Dist
1929/4 Qtr ref: 7a 1563? She was married to a Frank - she died13.01.1943 aged 33 and was interred at Louth Cem.
I also noticed a Frank Epton married someone (havent got around to finding first names for all the spouses yet) Gunn at Nottingham District in 1936, which of course is 10 years too soon, so presumably another Frank. One of them might be yours tho...

Offline jme1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 07 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

My father is fairly sure my Granddad Bernard John Epton was born 1919, and as he was a younger member of Frank's first family I always thought Frank would have been born late 1800s. Dad says Frank's first wife was Alice Mary something and they were married in Louth. She died, Frank moved to Nottingham and married into a family of which we have a photo with the surnames Gunn and Oxford on the rear. So I guess both could be him, but the dates are wrong???

I only met Frank once when I was about 5. My mother is a Frost from Derby area and I met all but one of her grandparents. My paternal Grandmother Doris May Epton (Nee Asher) is now 92 and has really enjoyed seeing my children grow up.

Yes that probably is the research I am refering to. It still comes up in the search engines if you search for Epton. It made extremely interesting reading.
Thanks again and any light you can shed on the Frank puzzel is welcome as for a long time, my parents and grand parents seem to have lost contact with the rest of their family and so know little about them.

Thanks again,
jonathan
Epton

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 07 20:05 BST (UK) »
Ok I have found the right marriage:

Frank Epton married Alice M Titley Louth District 1915 dec qtr, 7a 1795

Children with mothers maiden name Titley are as follows:

1918 Jun Qtr Spilsby Dist, - Joan M or Joan H

1919 Dec Qtr Spilsby Dist, - Bernard J

1922 Sep Qtr  Nottingham District - Lawrence J

1924 Mar Qtr  Nottingham District - Marcus B

1925 Dec Qtr  Nottingham District - Laura P

1930 Mar Qtr  Nottingham District - Alison N

This Frank Epton was born 1890 Jun Qtr 7a 548 Horncastle Reg District.

He was actually born at Roughton the son of William Epton and Sarah A Cox.

William Epton was born 1859 Miningsby, the son of Robert Epton and Rebecca Hewson.

...........and I have absolutely masses on this family.... so you might like to email me Ill send you a private message with my address in.

Offline jme1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 07 19:07 BST (UK) »
Just asked my father for his aunty Peggy's number and she has filled in a few gaps for me.

Frank actually married Hilda Titley, although Peggy doesn't know if she had a middle name or another name in front of Hilda. Their children were as follows:
Cyril Frank
Bernard John
Joan Hilda
Lawrence (died age 3)
Marcus Ben (ben not benjamin and he was always called ben not marcus)
Laura Peggy
Alison Nora

Franks second wife was Hannah Gunn.

Peggy's daughter has apparently already drawn up a family tree back to the 1800's and they are going to send me  a copy. Once I get it I will copy it to you.
jonathan
Epton