Author Topic: Epton Surname  (Read 31354 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Epton Surname
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
hiya all............ been away fer a week and a bit....
will try catching up now.......

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 August 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Believe yr Wm Epton the one b.1826 Addlethorpe s/o Festus Epton & Ann Scarboro

Offline Segwun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 August 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is the one...

Offline Segwun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 03:55 BST (UK) »
Anyone aware of web site that has the various UK census results online, where you don't have to sell your first-born to gain access to the data?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:43 BST (UK) »
There is I believe a Free Census project, but it is nowhere near complete; however many reference libraries, record offices and the National Archive at Kew have a subscription to Ancestry which is free to visitors using the facility on the spot. I thought it was your sould you had to sell to Ancestry, and not your firstborn!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 August 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Well going backwards, Festus & Ann - Festus was s/o Festus & Rhoda (Western/Westerman) and he s/o John & Mary nee Kidd.

In turn this John was s/o John & Elizabeth and that John was s/o Charles & Mary nee Preston. This Charles was a product of the marriage of John Epton b.1831 Hogsthorpe, married an Elizabeth before he married a further 3 times: Elizabeth Taylor, Margaret (Holmes?) and finally Elizabeth Hogdson/Hodson.

His father was Robert Epton who married Dorothy Bolton and later Elizabeth Wallis, and his father Robert who married Elizabeth Maltby and then Chystina Dowse. I believe this Roberts parents were Richard and Elizabeth nee Copeldike.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 August 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
"My father, now deceased was a train driver at Boston Lincs. At one stage his fireman was Ronald Epton b c1925. When the depot closed in 1964 Ron became a driver at New England depot Peterborough."

woulds that be the Ronald who was born 1929 in Bicker and married Irene SPEED? If so he was s/o Hilda miriam Epton who married Tom Cowdell in 1931. Hilda was d/o Walter and Julie Cox, and he was s/o Walter married Susannah Hides/Hydes and he (and she) were both related to me.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 August 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
It would indeed, incidentally his wife was the daughter of another driver, Horace Speed also of Boston. The railway family has more than one meaning!On more than one occasion Ron acted as fireman for his father in law.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 August 09 20:19 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Eardley Epton (b 1849 Thurlby In Bilsby) and his wife Sarah Hides/Hydes of Addlethorpe.

Walter Epton was his brother, b1855 Thurlby in Bilsby and married Sarah Hides/Hydes older sister, Susannah......