Author Topic: killed in egypt  (Read 5377 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: killed in egypt
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 April 07 21:31 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the cwgc as you have and also on the WW2 death index but can not find mention of an 'Archibald' Goodall.  Could Archibald be a middle name ?

Do you know the names of Archibald's parents and where he may have been born or what area he lived in ?  If we could find him on the 1901 we might discover that he used a different Christian name or any messages sent by his family to the cwgc may identify him - such as ' beloved son of .... from ......'

Also from the photo he appears not to be commissioned or to be a SNCO so maybe he was a leading or senior aircraftsman (unless he got promoted later) This may give a clue or at least eliminate Goodall's who were officers.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 April 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi ike

As he was born 1898, firstly there was no RAF then  :-\ and secondly he would not have left Britain.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 April 07 22:10 BST (UK) »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it says "Brother Bill" at the top of the photo - is that your father?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 April 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
I think the badge on the side of his cap would just have been the RAF badge - I think all trades wore the same cap badge (not like the army which had a badge for every regiment)  In the RAF as far as I know there was one cap badge for commissioned officers and one for other ranks. Correct me if I am wrong.

It looks like he's got a propeller on the top of his sleeve (again standard issue to all) but no stripes or rank on his upper arm and no rings around his lower sleeve - so when photo taken he was probably a SAC or LAC ?
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 April 07 08:29 BST (UK) »
Its not a propeller, its the RAF eagle arm badge worn by all airman from 1919-1973.

Offline ike

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 April 07 08:32 BST (UK) »
archibald e. goodall was born sept 1898 edmonton london and his parents names are archibald and alice goodall they are on the 1901 census liveing at 156 sheldond road, fore street edmonton celia rose is his sister,  sorry about the "bill" bit its of another photo above the one of archie all i have is a photo copy of the brothers on a sheet of paper, both sides of the phots were copied because of the writting on them,  he was in the army in the first world war i have a copy picurture of hin in ww1 army uniform, then he joined the airforce for the second war and as i said on the back is "my dear brother archie killed in egypt w.w.2"  that was written by my dad and thats all i know of my uncle
sorry its not a lot

thanks
ike
regards
brown's and broom's of norfolk area, butcher of bromyard, goodall' edmonton, tottenham, bexley heath, walthamstow.  attwell/atwell? hamlett of walthamstow.  long's of norfolk

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 April 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Ike
Would it be possible for you to post the photo of him in WW1 ?
I am mystified because in the WW2 airforce photo he only looks about 30.
He is not wearing any medal ribbons to indicate service during WW1. Also he has no rank - probably an AC - Aircraftsman.  I can not find an Archibald being killed in WW2 and I have looked at the cwgc to try to find any Goodall with an Edmonton connection - but could not find one (although not all entries have a family message on them).  I did find an Archibald Goodall from Reading, Berkshire of the Royal Engineers who died at home of his wounds in 1915. Could your WW2 photo possibly be a photo of one of Archie's sons ?
I think the WW1 photo might help
best wishes
Mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline ike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 April 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
this is him as a young man
brown's and broom's of norfolk area, butcher of bromyard, goodall' edmonton, tottenham, bexley heath, walthamstow.  attwell/atwell? hamlett of walthamstow.  long's of norfolk

Offline ike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 April 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
this is him