Author Topic: 1901 census Milburn  (Read 7996 times)

Offline lauraproud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census Milburn
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 July 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Ive just realised my profile pic is of George Milburn Proud His wife Sarah E Telford and their daughter Vida Proud.
PROUD,WATSON,MASON,MILBURN,ARMSTRONG,DAVISON,STOREY,CAWTHORN,MILLEN all from Durham/Northumberland/Newcastle/Gateshead area

Offline eleanor2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 October 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was doing research on the family tree and gave up for a few years - am just getting back at it now and am very rusty.
I have a George Milburn father of Sarah Milburn (born 1823 in whorlton) who married George Proud (bron1812)  on 12/12/1846 . They had five children - Jane (1848), George (1855), Abraham (1857), Sarah (1859) and Margaret Eleanor (1859 or 1861) . Do you think these Milburn/Prouds are the same as yours?

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Yes these are my family as well eleanor2, I come down from Sarah's brother John Milburn who is staying with them on the 1851 census.
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline eleanor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
My connection is through margaret eleanor proud , youngest daughter of George and Sarah Proud.
She married Daniel McMahon from Co. Clare in Ireland. They had three children with their son John Ernest McMahon being my grand father. Daniel and Margaret Eleanor died in 1887 and 1886 of TB leaving three very young children who were brought to Ireland by the McMahon family.
We never knew anything about the Proud side of the family or the circumstances of the children being brought to Ireland.
They were married at the Parish Church, Evenwood which sounds like Church of England and the children were baptised at St Joseph, Patrick and Cuthbert which is Catholic. Magaret Eleanor's funeral was in St Helens Church and Daniels was in St Joseph, Patrick and Cuthberts.

Would this mean they were buried seperately and is there a cemetary attached to these churches.
I am also wondering how Daniel came to Durham - he was a police constable from a farming family in the west of Ireland. I see him on the census before he was married (with an incorrect spelling of his name)
I would love any information on the Milburns or the Prouds or how to research Daniel Mc Mahon being a police constable.
All i know is that Abraham Proud is the father of George Proud. I have just learnt of George Milburn of 1797 was married to Jane from posts on this thread. I also learnt of Sarah Milburn Prouds siblings on this thread.
thanks
Joan

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan,  George Milburn was christened 15th Jan 1797 at the chapel at Whorlton, son of John Milbourn and Sarah Greenwell who were married at Whorlton 17th may 1780. George married Jane Madgin 3rd Sept 1821 at St Helens, Auckland. They were married in church by banns with her parents consent. they both siged the register. Children are Sarah 1822, Elizabeth 1826, Joseph 1828 died at 5 days, John 1829, Joseph 1831, George 1835, William 1837, Margaret 1840.

Wife Jane died 1852, George married widow margaret Marshall in 1853
George died 8th July 1869

George and Jane's headstone is at the back of the Churchyard of St Helen's Auckland also in the grave is daughter Elizabeth, daughter in law Barbara (son George's wife) and second wife Margaret

I didnt follow Sarah after she married so I don't have much on the Proud family
Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline eleanor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
thanks so much for your reply - that's loads of information - thank you so much. You have given me an extra generation with Sarah Greenwell and John Milbourn.
I will see what I can find out about the Prouds. Margaret Eleanor Proud McMahon is buried in St Helens Aukland - I wonder how I can locate that grave.
thanks again
Joan

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 October 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Joan, St Helen's church graveyard is not that big, I just looked round until I found George's it was behind the church.  If you don't live far away I'm sure you'll find it if it's still there.
Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline eleanor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean,
I have been in touch with the records office for some more information - I dont live near enough to visit and have a look around though I do hope to visit next year when i have some more information.
thanks
Joan