Author Topic: Crossmolina Church Records  (Read 160872 times)

Offline aderyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Chruch Records
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 September 08 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Diski,

I wonder if you could help me find my 2xgreat grandparents, they were from Co.Mayo but don't know what parish.
John McEllin and his wife Margaret.
They were living in Staffordshire in 1843 as their first child was born there.
He was a Rag and Bone man by trade.
Thank you for your kind offer hope you are successful.
Ange.

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 September 08 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ange,
The surname is not found in Crossmolina at all.
I have 2 books byMacLynsaht on surname origins, and it apparently is a Roscommon name originally A synonym of the name is McAllen and other spelling varients of such- Allyn Allan Allin...you might see what the other spellings bring up.
You might also want to look at Griffiths Valuation to see where in Mayo it turns up' Do a google search to find the site for Griffiths Valuation search on line.

Good luck to you.

Hello Diski,

I wonder if you could help me find my 2xgreat grandparents, they were from Co.Mayo but don't know what parish.
John McEllin and his wife Margaret.
They were living in Staffordshire in 1843 as their first child was born there.
He was a Rag and Bone man by trade.
Thank you for your kind offer hope you are successful.
Ange.

Offline Ali Race

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 October 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Diski
Not used boards before so I hope this finds you OK!

Your offer is extremely generous and of great interest to me. I wonder if you could add to that i have collected to date?

Mother-in-law has a grandfather gone missing (family Skeleton?). I've done what I can and think I have traced his birth and that of a sister they never knew he had. I am trying to get as much as I can before having to come over to search locally.

Person of interest Duncan William Ferguson b. 28 Dec 1864 to Murdoch(k) Ferguson and Sarah Whitty (Whitby) Crossmolina
if we can get more on Father would be good but also sister who may have died young:
Elizabeth Ferguson b. 13 Nov 1866 Crossmolina.
Think Murdock(h) was gardener.

DW Ferguson married in Belfast 1893 to Martha McRoberts

Many thanks in anticipation.

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 October 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I only have ONE Ferguson:
Jun 1 1838 John, born to Patrick Ferguson and Catherine Corcoran, residence is Crossmolina town. Witness were Alex ?? and Sarah Barrett

I had NO Whittly or Whittby or McRoberts surnames either. No Murdock or Duncans either.
Personally, the Whittby sounds like a Church or Ireland name. If you already KNOW they came from Crossmolina, I would look into other denominations such as the Church of Ireland records. I have Church of Ireland, but only a few and they are for early 1800s. I have no McRoberts, Whitby ect, and one Ferguson for COI:
Sept 13 1814, Marriage of Francis Ferguson and Sarah Huston of Ballina and Stonehall (Foxford Parish?).
The fact that they married in Belfast also suggests COI roots, not catholic. Of coarse, I could be wrong, but thats where I would be looking.

The Crossmolina DISTRICT, which is what is frequently seen in the Indexes, does not mean they were born in the Parish or town of Crossmolina-the district covers several parishes. Church of Ireland districts are no the same as the Roman Cath districts either!
The North Mayo site may have other church records-or more complete catholic records than what I have-for a fee they will do a search of there computerised records. Might be worth it to have them do a search for one of them-hopefully it with show what parishes they came from, and that will help you in your future research.

Good Luck Ali!
http://mayo.irish-roots.net/

Offline Ali Race

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thank for your efforts Diski.

where I found a tenuous link was at the following URL and it possibly led me astray - i'll keep looking.

Thanks again

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/FergusonsOfIreland/Mayo.htm

Ali.

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 October 08 00:18 BST (UK) »
I know the author Joe from our frequent exchanges of information on our individual families- his work is excellent and trustworthy.

Since I dont see where it states his sources, it could be from the Birth records from Civil Registration, or from the CD of Index of Births for the years covering 1864-1867 in Ireland. I suspect that his list is from the Index of births, which is not limited to Catholics only, as one would expect in a Catholic Church Register. I'm fairly certain his reference to Crossmolina means the Registration DISTRICT of Crossmolina, not the parish itself.
Try this link for a map of the Civil parishes are, and search the surrounding parishes to find your Fergusons.  http://www.connorsgenealogy.net/Mayo/mayocp.html
Diane

Offline samiie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane,
Thanks for your offer to look up records for Crossmolina.  I believe my great,great,great grandmother, Jane Corcoran was born in Crossmolina in 1820.  She married John Fleming, and when he died, moved with her three children to the US.  They were Roman Catholic.  The children's names were:  Anthony, John, and Mary (who married John Glynn from Galway.)

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Samiie,
You didn't specify what records you are requesting-Janes birth, the childrens births?, marriage info??

As I stated in my original post, I dont want to waste my time giving you information you already HAVE. I want to give you NEW info that will benefit you.

So clarify for me please,

Thanks, Diane
PS- When did John Flemming die? Do you know the townland by chance? Never hurts to ask :D

Offline samiie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
The information I have on this family is very limited. 
Birth of Jane Corcoran b. 1820, possibly in Crossmolina.
Birth of John Fleming b. about 1820, possibly in Crossmolina.
Marriage of John and Jane in Crossmolina.   Blacksmith
Birth of Anthony Fleming b. Dec. 1842.  Emigrated to USA in 1861 or 1865. 
Birth of Mary Fleming May 1852.  (d.o.b. varies from 1840 to 1852 in various documents)
Birth of John Fleming, son, date unknown.

I do not know when John (senior) died or where.

Thanks again for your efforts.