Author Topic: LOCK(E)S of Shropshire/Staffordshire  (Read 11486 times)

Offline Vetsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOCK(E)S of Shropshire/Staffordshire
« on: Monday 09 April 07 12:20 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Matthew Lock(e) and Membranci Boswell and would love to hear from anyone who has a Lock(e) or 2 in their tree.

I have been provided with 42 pages of info on the Lock(e)s however it is a very slow process going through and trying to confirm each entry against the records I have access to.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: LOCK(E)S of Shropshire/Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 07 09:13 BST (UK) »

Search in here http://surname.rootschat.com/

You never know, another Rootschat member might be looking for the same names as you ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline alphingtonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I have only just joined rootschat and I found your message last night. It seems from my family research that I may well have Shropshire/Staffordshire Lock(e)'s in my family tree. I believe that my grt. grt. grandfather, John Croydon, married Unity/Unetta Lock (in 1856) the daughter of Margeria Smith (nee Lock) and Elijah Smith. Margeria is the daugher of Matthew and Membrance Lock.

I know what you mean it does seem to take for ever to find the Lock family members in Census Records etc. etc.!!

Good luck with your research.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
contact lockeroots on here.he has some very full lock/locke trees and a very good paper trail of tem aswell as a strong interest in the dna of locks.he also has some web sites where they are all listed.strongly reccomend you contact him.cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline alphingtonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information cathayb, I am most grateful.

Offline vandell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
My name is Ryan Wood.  (Telford Shropshire)
My Mother  -  Deborah Lock (Telford)
My Uncle - Nicholas Lock (Telford)
My Cousin - Mitchell Lock (Albrighton cusp of shropshire/wolverhampton)
My Grandad - Fraizer Lock.... Born in Angelsey brought up as a Lock, but found out that he was actually born as Fraizer Boswell. 

Nice to meet you. 

Offline alphingtonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Nice to meet you also Vendall.

My four times great uncle, Noah Locke, lived some of his life in Angelsey and he died on the 12th March 1907 in Holywell, Flintshire, Wales. Noah was the father of the famous Esmeralda Lock.

Noah also used the surname Boswell and many of his children did the same. One of Noah's sons Zachariah Lock was also known as Harry Boswell and he married Maria Wood.

There is a story that Zachariah and his brother Joseph Somerset Lock, also known as Somerset Joe, were challenged for the right to travel through Wales by Oliver Lee and Seth Lovell. After a fight which the Lock brothers won Seth Lovell moved his family down south.

Offline jaynieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 April 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
hi elijah and margyann were my 4 x great grandparents there son eisiah lock had a son called enock lockk who married matilda pearson. they had george lock who was my moms dad they lived in cookley,worcestershire does anyone have any photos  :) kind regards jayne x
breese/breeze,smith,welch,allport,lye waste.hart.lye.birmingham amblcote in stourbridge,lye
lock/locke,shropshire,worcesershire,canada

Offline DonLocke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
I too am a descendent of Matthew Lock(e) and Membranci Boswell. My gr gr grandfather was Noah (Boswell) 1824-1907 and is buried at Llanddaniel Fab on Anglesey. My gr grandfather was Zebulen James (Newport Shropshire) and his sister was Esmeralda, and brother of Somerset Joe. Zebulen lost 2 sons at Ypres in 1916 and 1917 when they both served with the Shropshire Royal Field Artillery.