Author Topic: LOCK(E)S of Shropshire/Staffordshire  (Read 11515 times)

Offline Rebekahjane

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOCK(E)S of Shropshire/Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 August 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
Somerset Joe is my Great Great Grandfather and his eldest son, Joseph, is my Great Grandfather.  My grandad was brought up by his Aunt Cissie (Ada) though, as his own mother, Amelia Dunne, died soon after his birth, and his father obviously didn't feel up to fatherhood. 

It's all so fascinating but quite confusing to piece it all together, as there are so many children and name-changes.  Thankfully, I have Ada's bible, which she was given by her mother, Maria (wife of Somerset Joe) on her 12th birthday.  She's listed her siblings and their dates of birth.  It's the only bit I'm absolutely sure of!  Feeling a bit mind-blown :-)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in Lavinia LOCK who married (probably unofficially) William DAVIS.

They had several children baptised in Warwickshire parishes while travelling a circuit in the 1830s/40s.  Some are baptised as Davis and some as Lock, no doubt depending on whether the vicar recognised them as a married couple.

Some time after that they settled in Birmingham.  William died in the 1860s, and Lavinia died in 1888, her age given as 68 although she may have been older.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline breese73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I know this I'd a old post margarita and elijah were my 3 x grandparents do you know where elijah was born and who his parent were I'm struggling with that side and also do you have any info on margarita.margery kind regards jayne x

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
I am interested in Lavinia LOCK who married (probably unofficially) William DAVIS.

They had several children baptised in Warwickshire parishes while travelling a circuit in the 1830s/40s.  Some are baptised as Davis and some as Lock, no doubt depending on whether the vicar recognised them as a married couple.

Some time after that they settled in Birmingham.  William died in the 1860s, and Lavinia died in 1888, her age given as 68 although she may have been older.

Since I posted the above, we've established that Lavinia was one of the younger sisters of Matthew Lock.  She was baptised in 1799 in Madeley, Shropshire "daughter of Henery and Sarah Lock (A Gipsey)". 

Lavinia was my 3x great grandmother.  Happy to share what I have about her and her descendants if it helps anyone to join some dots.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline breese73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 13:46 BST (UK) »

Do you have any info on margaria and elijah and who his parents were x

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 July 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Do you have any info on margaria and elijah and who his parents were x

No, sorry.  Margery would have been Lavinia's niece.  There is a page showing her descendants in Eric Trudgill's Lock Family Tree book, but you probably already have that.  It doesn't have anything on Elijah's baptism or parents.

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 February 22 18:29 GMT (UK) »

Since I posted the above, we've established that Lavinia was one of the younger sisters of Matthew Lock.  She was baptised in 1799 in Madeley, Shropshire "daughter of Henery and Sarah Lock (A Gipsey)". 

Lavinia was my 3x great grandmother.  Happy to share what I have about her and her descendants if it helps anyone to join some dots.

Hi Sloe Gin, long time no speak - did you ever find William Davis?
Browne/Brown, Rea/Reay/Ray, Walker, Breedon, Rowley, Smith, Lock, Davis, Griffin, Underhill, Dainter, Best, Lockett

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 February 22 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonny!  Good to see you're still alive and kicking.  No, I haven't anything new to report, but I haven't been looking lately.  May be time to shake the tree again and see if anything falls out.   ;)

Offline jonnybrowne1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 February 22 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, just about still in one piece, thanks. Looking forward to retiring in July so I can give more time to finding William and others! Are you still on the same email address? I'll drop you a line.

Jonny
Browne/Brown, Rea/Reay/Ray, Walker, Breedon, Rowley, Smith, Lock, Davis, Griffin, Underhill, Dainter, Best, Lockett