Author Topic: Sefton Hall Northumberland  (Read 3744 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Sefton Hall Northumberland
« on: Tuesday 30 November 04 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of Sefton Hall in Northumberland?

I have a 1901 census entry
Anne M C Shearer age 58 Married living Sefton Hall Northumberland , by her own means with daughter Anne M C Shearer  age 28 and Helen age 24, and a trained nurse.
She was a Campbell who came from Newcastle but I wonder where Sefton Hall is or what it was??
In the 1881 census she is in Croydon with husband Donald F C Shearer, a rich merchant with 6 children and 5 servants!
The only Donald I can find in 1901 of the right age group is in Liverpool, which could make sense because his brother lived there. However he down as is a boarder, not visitor or lodger, in the house of a scottish family of fish curers!

I wonder what happened so I thought Id start by finding out about Sefton Hall.
Any offers?
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sefton Hall Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Anigran,

From Census 1881, your Scottish-born Donald has A.M.C., a daughter 9 years old, born Scotland.

On C1901 Anne Shearer aged 28 is recorded as Thurso-born.

On C1901 the 60 yr old Donald Shearer in Liverpool is recorded as been born in Caithness, the county in the north-east tip of Scotland.

Thurso is a town lying in Caithness.

So you decide on the odds of that been your Donald.

He could have only been in Liverpool on business.

A more racey possibility is that he has gone bust.. on C1881 he is Comm Merchant ( could be mistake for corn merchant)

On C1901 he is Commission Agent... now that term covered a range of activities... one of them was Bookmaker.

And it looks as though son George did not reap the benefits of the son of a wealthy man... on C1901 he is a Draper's Assistant down in Devon (well age and birthplace fits ! )

Me, a Northumbrian, does not know of Sefton Hall in Northumberland. There is an old building in Tweedmouth (Berwick-upon-Tweed) called Sefton Hall that is now a rsidential-care home.

Thinking of slips of the pen, there still is a very fine hall at Seaton Delaval, that was owned by the noble family of Delavals.

I think there is a Sefton Hall in Devon.

I am inttrigued how you know that the two Annes and Helen were in Northumberland in 1901... C1901 index has no county or "census" place for them !

And on a fishy commercial note, there was plenty of money in Kippers !

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sefton Hall Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Consider me suitably chasened. You were right and I assumed Northumberland.
However I am now even more puzzled about Sefton Hall because the one on Liverpool area was demolished in late 18thC!

Can  the census place be discovered from the record information numbers?

another mystery to uncover!!
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall