Author Topic: Hadfield Family of Derbyshire and Yorkshire  (Read 15816 times)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hadfield Family of Derbyshire and Yorkshire
« on: Monday 09 April 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
If anyone is researching this family I have come accross a hand written 'History' written in 1831 and with an addition written just after WW1
The notes refer to family tombs in the church of Edale near Castleton in Derby.
If this interests you please let me know.
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hadfield Family of Derbyshire and Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 04:42 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have a family connection to the Hadfield family.
My great grandfather Joseph Wyatt bC1842 Glossop,married 1883 Martha Garlick Hadfield.Several generations including my mother had Hadfield as a middle name.
Betty Wyatt b1799,married 1820 Thomas Hadfield.
I believe Martha Garlick Hadfield b1838 Glossop,was a daughter of a Thomas Hadfield and Mary Robinson although Thomas may have had a previous marriage to a Sarah Garlick.
I am interested in the notes you have.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hadfield Family of Derbyshire and Yorkshire. Also Hinchcliff of Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have a family connection to the Hadfield family.
My great grandfather Joseph Wyatt bC1842 Glossop,married 1883 Martha Garlick Hadfield.Several generations including my mother had Hadfield as a middle name.
Betty Wyatt b1799,married 1820 Thomas Hadfield.
I believe Martha Garlick Hadfield b1838 Glossop,was a daughter of a Thomas Hadfield and Mary Robinson although Thomas may have had a previous marriage to a Sarah Garlick.
I am interested in the notes you have.

Hello,
I've looked through the handwritten book that I have and I'm afraid that I can't find either a Martha Garlick Hadfield or a Thomas Hadfield.
Part of the notes seem to have been written by Jos Hadfield 16th August 1759 to 1852 in 1831.
The supplementary notes are by C.A Hadfield. It includes references to a Hadfield who lived in Derbyshire and who married  a lady from the Hinchcliff family of Yorkshire.
There is also a Charles Joseph Hadfield who was in the Royal Marines Light Infantry and served in the Crimean War.
Also a John MacKenzie hadfield 1889-1914 who was in the South Lancashire Regiment.
I hope this may help you and others with possibly confirming any links to the Hadfield family.

Offline Bee80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 07 00:10 BST (UK) »
There was a strong Hadfield/Hatfield presence in the Chesterfield area.  My line - most of them called Godfrey - go back to the late 1600's in that town.

Eileen
Derbyshire; Leicesteshire; Lincolnshire; Nottinghamshire; South Yorkshire; Shropshire; Worcestershire; Northamptonshire; Wiltshire;

Millthorpe;  Brett;  Siddall; Fenton;  Rimmington; Pigott; Barthrop; Thornally/Thornhill; Bellamy; Newstead; Simms; Rodgers; Horne; Swan; Rencorne; Bratley; Brown; Beech; Chapman; Nicholson; George; Ranby; Parnell; Wardle;

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 07 02:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bee80.
I am looking for James Wyatt also who may have come from Chesterfield.
There is an IGI entry C035863 11.12.1767 for James Wyatt son of Mary.When James died in 1840 Glossop he was aged 73,so the dates fit.I need to further verify.
The Hadfield name is strongly connected to the Wyatts.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Bee80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 07 13:13 BST (UK) »
To Lazarus.

I do not recall the name WYATT in connection with my Hadfield's but have not investigated all the side branches.  I think I established some years ago through other researcers that there is only a very small chance of the Glossop and north Derbyshire branches being related.  My tree is on GenesReunited if you belong.

May I get back to you  - I am going to be away for about eight weeks with no internet contact ?

Bee80
Derbyshire; Leicesteshire; Lincolnshire; Nottinghamshire; South Yorkshire; Shropshire; Worcestershire; Northamptonshire; Wiltshire;

Millthorpe;  Brett;  Siddall; Fenton;  Rimmington; Pigott; Barthrop; Thornally/Thornhill; Bellamy; Newstead; Simms; Rodgers; Horne; Swan; Rencorne; Bratley; Brown; Beech; Chapman; Nicholson; George; Ranby; Parnell; Wardle;

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 07 13:15 BST (UK) »
There was a strong Hadfield/Hatfield presence in the Chesterfield area.  My line - most of them called Godfrey - go back to the late 1600's in that town.

Eileen

Many thanks Eileen. I am not in anyway I know of related to the Hadfield family.
The book would be of especial interest to a living descendant of the family and these are the names of those I believe to be the descendants of Charles Joseph Hadfield who died in 1914 after being wounded at Mons, and who were alive at the time the book was updated:-
Frederick Howe, Charles Arthur (may have died in 1938),Herbert Charles, Emily Octavia, Annie Isobel.
I would like to hear from any Hadfield familky member who would like this family document.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have a friend living locally who is a Hadfield from that area.  I will ask him to have a look at this thread in case he is connected.

Will be back and let you know!

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 07 13:35 BST (UK) »
I have a friend living locally who is a Hadfield from that area.  I will ask him to have a look at this thread in case he is connected.

Will be back and let you know!

Best wishes

Angela

Thanks Angela.
Apologies to everyone for the size of the picture I uploaded. I didn't realise it would come up so big!
On reflection I think I should also ask for whoever receives this book to provide some form of proof of being a family member as I would like it to become a family item and be preserved for future descendants.