Author Topic: CLUBBs of Airth  (Read 8967 times)

Offline bill0765

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CLUBBs of Airth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 09 00:45 GMT (UK) »
hi im bill i have just joined roots chat .my grandmother was elizabeth clubbs born in sunderland in 1887.my ancestors spent some time in Cumberland .my ancestor moved to cumberland from airth, james clubbs born 6/4/1794 ,one of 9 children .dad alexander clubbs and mum margaret mclaren.
after not finding a birth for alexander or a marriage or kids for john c 28/4/1751 i think they are the same people say john alexander .dad alexander clubb and mum janet nillson or neilson .i think this alexander was born in pitsligo aberdeenshire 26/6/1725 dad alexander and mum margaret pirie .also andrew 1723 ,william 1727 ,james 1732 .
any way the clubbs name comes from aberdeenshire .
with regard to john clubbs b1784 and jean mcnellan .i have seen the tombstones in airth as i live only a few miles away .jean was born in1781 .cant find jean but there was a margaret mcnellan born 14/10/1781 in stirling dad archibald mum janet robertson

Offline Hannah29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Masterplumber

Since your original message was posted almost 2 years ago you may already have this info. There are references to 11 Club/Clubbs in the Airth Parish Burials (pre-1855) which Central Scotland Family History Society transcribed from the OPRs several years ago. These aren't the same as the Mitchells' Monumental Inscriptions. If you'd like the info let me know, although if you're local you'll be able to see them in the library in Stirling. The newspaper indexes are also there. No Clubs in the 'People' section of the 'Stirling Journal and Advertiser' index but a couple in the 'Stirling Observer People Index 1836 - 1856'.  In the General Reference part Archibald Clubbs of Doune, ironmonger, gets 2 mentions in 1851, one of which also mentions his wife who seems to have been accidentally poisoned!

Regards

Hannah

Offline masterplumber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah

Been off the case for a while but intend getting back into it all again soon.

Interesting what you say about the newspaper indices in the library.  I was (partially) responsible for the Stirling Observer ones as I was supervisor on the project in the early-mid 80s that created those indices in the first place!  Good to see they are still around.

I'll check out the Airth Parish burials now that I know they are there.

Hi Bill - interested to talk to you about some of this stuff too perhaps if you're local.  I found it relatively easy to get back to the Airth Clubbs (Alexander and Margaret MacLaren) but difficult to get any further back than that.  I was at Aberdeen University as a student many years ago - I'm from Stirling originally - and I couldn't believe how many Clubbs were in the Aberdeen telephone directory.  So I guessed there was some kind of connection but have never been able to find it.  what source do you have for alexander being originally from Pitsligo?  also - I seem to remember someone saying many years ago that the Clubb name came from Danish fishermen arriving in the NE of Scotland but obviously I've never been able to make much out of that either.

Also trying to establish where John Club of Club's Tomb 'fame' fits into the picture.

Offline bill0765

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
hi mp
ive got a list of all the lds igi batch numbers fo christenings and marriages and checked for alexander clubb .found b1725 pitsligo C112332 batch ,also andrew b1723,william b1728,james b1732 ,jane 1738 .dad alexander and mum margaret pirie .however records for pitsligo,tyrie and aberdour parishes stopped in 1719 .
 i managed to find a marion club marriage in 24/2/1663 in st andrews,orkney to david matches  M110252 BATCH .
 I live in cumbernauld where some clubbs lived in 1835 BATCH 7312405 .Also a family lived in dunoon 1806 dad andrew clubb wife catherine fletcher .C115104 batch .
my clubbs moved to rockcliffe cumbria from airth in 1880s

bill

Offline ojs_uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 April 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
Just to add my name to the list of people descended from John Clubbs and Jean McNellan. Their daughter - Margaret Clubbs (b. 1822), married a gas engineeer, Peter Watson. One of his sons, James Fairley Watson, moved South, working in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire and Essex. Some of his descendants settled in Hampshire.

Thanks to Bill and Masterplumber for their info on this thread.

Offline johnsankus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Suppose I should add mine too...
My mother, Sarah Woods. Her father, Thomas woods. His mother, Janet Smith. Her father, William Smith. His mother, Janet Ogilvie. Her mother, Euphemia Robertson. Her mother, Janet Clubb. Her parents, Alexander and Margaret were my G. G. G. G. G. G. Grandparents... :D

Offline Cclubbs2012

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 April 19 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi guys!
My name is Courtney and I am a Clubbs that migrated to the United states! I have gone as far back as Alexander and Margaret McLaren. Does anyone here have the same relation? I saw Masterplumber did on another thread. We are coming over to Scotland and Ireland in a week and wanted to see if anyone we actually found relation too wanted to meet! Thanks!

Offline johnsankus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 April 19 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Courtney...
Alexander and Margaret are direct ancestors of mine...  Margaret's parents were Duncan MacLaren and Janet (McIndoe). There is other stuff you'll love :D
Anything else gimme a shout.. I'm on Facebook and email is johnsankus@hotmail.co.uk

Offline johnsankus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
hi mp
ive got a list of all the lds igi batch numbers fo christenings and marriages and checked for alexander clubb .found b1725 pitsligo C112332 batch ,also andrew b1723,william b1728,james b1732 ,jane 1738 .dad alexander and mum margaret pirie .however records for pitsligo,tyrie and aberdour parishes stopped in 1719 .
 i managed to find a marion club marriage in 24/2/1663 in st andrews,orkney to david matches  M110252 BATCH .
 I live in cumbernauld where some clubbs lived in 1835 BATCH 7312405 .Also a family lived in dunoon 1806 dad andrew clubb wife catherine fletcher .C115104 batch .
my clubbs moved to rockcliffe cumbria from airth in 1880s

bill
Hi Bill. That would be James Clubb, son of Alexander Clubb and Margaret McLaren, yes?