Author Topic: Professor Popeji  (Read 2721 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Professor Popeji
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 13:38 BST (UK) »
 My mother, I am told was a contortionist with a Professor Peter Popeji (spelling unknown) when she was about 16-18, 1937, so the story goes.  I am also told that a Professor Peter Popeji taught her.  Does anyone have any information? 
Originally my mother reckoned it was with Boswell circus, but researching I have found that Boswell circus was in South Africa, so somewhere along the line she has become muddled. Or did Boswell Circus also run here in the UK?  She lived in SA for some years, only returning to the UK in the last few years. Regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Circus
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 13:48 BST (UK) »
A few hits on Google - including:-

http://www.juggling.org/jw/86/2/letters.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Boswells Circus
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Pauline,

Boswell's were performers and I have records from 1826. They were related by marriage to Thomas Taplin Cooke's family and ran a circus in the UK until 1910 and then came to South Africa. Boswell Brothers Circus ran until 1963. My sister and her husband Brian Boswell now run 'Brian Boswell's Circus' here in South Africa. Did The 'Professor' work for Boswells in England before 1910 or maybe afterwards, here in South Africa? Have you gone any further with this?

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Popeji
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 08 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am completely baffled by it, my mother in law wont talk about her parents, and lied quiet a bit, although one thing that comes up is that she was a contortionist at Boswell Circus which I believe was here in England but she lived in South Africa from 1940's, coming back to england just recently.  So Professor could have been at either, unless of course this is another figment of her imagination.  Do you have anything on a Professor and his wife, who was either in the UK or SA?  I am hopeing you are going to say yes..... but who knows?  Regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline James965

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
I've been trying to contact you at:  (*): - but with no success.  I would like to discuss our mutual interest in the Wheller family in Somerset as I think there is a chance we may have a common ancestor.
I would be grateful if you would drop me a line confirming that I have the correct person at:  removed.
Ian.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian, I seemed to be struggling for ages with contacts to the Wheller family tree and since Christmas have had a few.  If you would like to email me on (*) I will send you what I have.
regards Pauline

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php