Author Topic: an offer of Help with Catholic families of the Fylde  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: an offer
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Are you connected to the family listed in Wyresdale?  I have strong Wyresdale connections.

Phil
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.
Dunn, Dempsey, McCabe from the Clonaslee area of Laois, Ireland.
Nolan, Kelly from Tipperarry, Ireland.

Offline grannygreen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Our family name in this area is Blackow/Blacoe/Blakoe + others!

We have got as far back as Richard Blakoe of Cabus born around 1707 this is my husband's 6th Great Grandfather

In Richards will of 1776 I have received this week , he leaves the sum of £201 to his niece Catherine Kilshaw (who you have just found!) plus John Baines in the Forest of Bowland

Further problems here as his son in law (also mentioned in the will who owed him £150) is another John Baines (the miller who you have also found)

I was hoping Catherine being his niece would really help me go back another generation but I cannot find any Kilshaw & Blacoe marriages but of course the would be catholic marriages so it is  very difficult as I am sure you know

Please could I ask was Catherine Kilshaw in the same household as Thomas Baynes and family in Winmerley?

I think the John Baines & Mary in Wyresdale is the John I am looking for - I also think his wife was Mary Kilshaw so this could be another link - possibly

Thank you for your interest

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Kilshaw was in her own household which also included her 12 year old servant John Wignal. 

I have in my files John Baines and Mary Kilshaw married 29 Jun 1756 at St. Helen's, Garstang.  Their daughter Ann married George Ibison 28 May 1781 at St. Helen's, Garstang.  George Ibison was part of my Bamber family of Wyresdale.

Were Mary and Catherine Kilshaw sisters?

Phil
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.

Offline grannygreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes I believe they were as on the banns (6th, 13th & 20th June) from St Helen Garstang it states that John Baines was from Wyresdale and Mary Kilshaw was from Winmarleigh  (same as Catherine)

They  are also down as being married at St Mary the Priory Lancaster on 22 Jun 1756 John Baynes Husbandman of this parish and spinster Mary Culshaw of Garstang

Both above are on Lancs OPC

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I see on another will, that of Thomas Threlfall of Fowler Hill, Cabus, yeoman, 1774, that Catherine Kilshaw (described as daughter of Richard), niece, is named as a beneficiary.  The only other beneficiaries are William Smith of Claughton, and Thomas Swarbrick of Nateby (described as nephew).  The 1767 Returns of Papists show Thomas Threlfall, Husbandman, aged 69 resident 40 years of Winmerley.  By the way they also list Rich Blacoe, Husbandman, age 61 20 year resident.

Offline grannygreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »
That is a great turn up so her father was Richard tiny step by step we are getting there

I think her father must have married one of Richard's sisters or maybe Richards wife was a Kilshaw and it is one of her brothers children?

It is so frustrating not being able to see any marriages or baptisms for this period.

I did find a death on Lancashire OPC in 1730 and also in 1734 of a Mary Kilshay daughter of Richard of Garstang so this could be him.

When you have time (no rush at all!) Is there any sign of Richard Kilshaw or any other Kilshaw's on the Papist returns?

Regarding Richard Blakoe yes I knew he was there along with his son Joseph (our blood line) in Cabus

Thank you so much for this

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil. I've been following grannygreen's other query about these families. This is the 2nd time I've seen the name Smith mentioned in connection with them. My 6xGGM Alice Smith, a widow, married Richard Lamb in Garstang in 1760. The first 30+ years of her  life are a blank. I'm starting to wonder if she was R.C. Would you please look for her as Alice Lamb on the Return of Papists ? Places of abode: Barnacre; Ellel; and Forton which was in Cockerham parish. She was in Forton in May 1767 & 1769 when her daughters were born. Could you also tell me if any of the Smith families in Garstang were on the Papists' Returns ?
Thank-you.
Cowban

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little slower to reply during the week  :)  I have been looking through the 1767 returns and so far have only found this Richard Kilshaw:

Chapelry of Caton in Lancaster parish:

Males:  Richard Kilshaw  Years of Age:  72  Occupation:  Husbandman  Years of Residence:  40 Years
Females:  Ellen Kilshaw wife of R.C.  Years of Age:  60  [no additional information]

These are the only Kilshaws listed in Caton.

If I read correctly your husband is descended from John Bains and Mary Kilshaw of Over Wyresdale.  I have John Bains as the son of James Bains and Elizabeth Parkinson.  I have additional information on John Bains' siblings and also some information on the Parkinson line.   Not a lot, but some.  Perhaps you have all of this already, but let me know if it is of interest to you.

I  will see if I can find anymore Richard Kilshaw listings in thr 1767 returns.

Phil

Offline grannygreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon Phil

Once again thank you for the information - I shall certainly take a look at Richard & Ellen Kilshaw, on a quick look on Lancs OPC I found a burial of Ellin Kilshaw widow abode Salwick buried St Anne Woodplumpton 17 Jan 1805 age 98 years - this would put her at the correct age of Ellen 60 in 1767!
but i can find nothing on Richard at the moment

John Baines & his wife Mary Kilshaw of Over Wyresdale could be relations (through Mary) but I cannot prove anything as yet

John Baines of Over Wyresdale and Catherine Kilshaw (sister to Mary) were left £201 in our Richard Blacoe's will and he called Catherine Kilshaw his niece (which of course would put Mary as a niece too!) but I just cannot find a link or a Kilshaw/Blacoe marriage

What makes it more complicated is our Richard Blacoe's daughter Mary Blacoe married John  Baines the miller of Sandholme (son of Barnaby Baines of Claughton/Wyresdale) in the will Richard called in a debt that his son in law John Baines of Sandholme owed him of £150 - so he wasn't left anything in Richard's will

Please only do any more look ups when you have time, there really is no rush Richard has waited over 300 years for me to find him - he can wait a bit longer

Take care and thanks again
Marilyn