Author Topic: An Irish marriage - ROURKE / MARSHALL  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
An Irish marriage - ROURKE / MARSHALL
« on: Thursday 12 April 07 13:16 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding a marriage in Cork  in approximately between the years 1828 and 1833.  Apart from names this is the only information I have.

Tuscany
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An Irish marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 07 13:20 BST (UK) »
Since civil marriage registrations in Ireland began much later (1845 for Protestant marriages & 1864 for Catholics) you probably will need to check church records. To do so you need to know what religion they were and what area they lived. Having just the county isn't much help unless you have some other clues like an unusual surname. If you think they lived in Cork City there are still so many possible churches to check.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
All I have is Henry Rourke married Jemima Marshall either in 1828 or 1833 (her age on the death certificate is either 23 or 28) Cork, Ireland.

Jemima came from Frensham, Surrey so I would imagine she was Protestant most likely C of E, how or why she came to be in Ireland I have no idea but she was quite a pioneer.  They emigrated to Australia in 1833/4.

Tuscany.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline searchingfor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 April 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Google  O'kiefs family history ,or try Coshe Mange try from there. A lot of marriages in Dublin Library , next to the Doyle, at least the catholic records are in  English not Latin as they are in England  . You could go Ancestry and new databases . It is just a case of trying various sites. If pushed do try the family search people they are so helpful. There is one on just outside Cork or if someone in England can help they have Irish records in Chorley Lancs. You could find by going into, family search ,and looking up the best place for you.