Author Topic: Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim  (Read 19601 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Possibly the townland  of Cornamahan
County;    Cavan
Barony;    Clanmahon
Civil parish; Denn

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Carrigallen isn’t far from Killeshandra

I do know that a Charles Haughton appeared in the Griffith Valuation in 1864 in Cloonboygher, Carrigallen along with two other Haughton families George & Edward in the same townland, it looks like the name alternated between Haughton and Houghton over the years probably to distinct between the families

I don’t know where coromahon is? It must be a very old spelling because there's no spelling similar to it as far as I know

I’m afraid I have no other info

Hi Razor & Hallmark,

I didn't get a notification on your replies(although notification is set up) but just spotted it.

Thanks for the info, Coromahon is the name of a house in Killeshandra (in Rockfield/ Loughnafin), I visited this house in the 1960s as a child and it is still there today.
Thanks
Margaret :)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline GeoffreyS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
There was an Edward Arnold a Blacksmith and according to the Leitrim Observer achives this was 1854

dont know if a relation or not but there were also Arnolds in Newtowngore up until about 20 years ago

Offline GeoffreyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 00:11 BST (UK) »
HI there Razor8.

Re Edward Arnold the blacksmith. Do you have way of accessing the Leitrim Observer Archives for 1854 and letting me have details of what it is about or send a link so I can take a peak.  I had not heard of this source before. I could not confirm it on the Internet. It appears to be my Edward - I have never found another like named - and our research suggests he lived to 1856. His children had left for Canada and Australia for the most part by then. 

There is also another person in this chain of submissions perhaps named Sherrard....  Could this be a Sherrritt derivative?  We have done a lot of research on the Sherritts  - one of whom was Frances who was Edward's wife.  There is an a group in Canada who have comprehensive research on this branch.

Offline GeoffreyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
HI there Razor8.

Re Edward Arnold the blacksmith. Do you have way of accessing the Leitrim Observer Archives for 1854 and letting me have details of what it is about or send a link so I can take a peak?  I had not heard of this source before. I could not confirm it on the Internet. It appears to be my Edward - I have never found another like named - and our research suggests he lived to 1856. His children had left for Canada and Australia for the most part by then.  

There is also another person in this chain of submissions perhaps named Sherrard....  Could this be a Sherrritt derivative?  We have done a lot of research on the Sherritts  - one of whom was Frances who was Edward's wife.  There is a group in Canada who have comprehensive research on this branch.

You are correct in noting that some Arnolds still lived in the area 20 years ago.  I think some still do - I met with one young family about 10 years ago. There is also one elderly Sherritt in the NewtownGore township last I heard.   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 01:57 BST (UK) »
Nothing about Edward but..

Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    Mentioned regarding Presentment Sessions (Carrigallen)
Date:    8 April 1871 Newspaper Subject:    Arnold George (Drumbrick)

Newspaper Content:    Former wife of Benjamin Makim deceased tenant of Francis Duke gave evidence at Rent case of her new husband at Mohill Sub Commission
Date:    8 November 1883 Newspaper Subject:    Arnold Mrs James

Newspaper Content:    Witness Leitrim Courtcase Arnold versus Kiernan
Date:    7 March 1872 Newspaper Subject:    Arnold Mrs (Widow of the late William Arnold)

Newspaper:    
Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette Newspaper Content:    
Above mentioned re House of his tenant Mr. Robert Arnold being attacked
Date:    24 March 1849
Newspaper Subject:    
GORE ORMSBY ESTATE OWNER LEGANOMER CLOONE

Newspaper:    
Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette
Newspaper Content:    
Leitrim Assizes - details given with two persons to be imprisoned - John Arnold for 12 months and Patt McKeon for 8 months and hard labour.
Date:    16 July 1836 Newspaper Subject:    JAIL COUNTY CARRICK ON SHANNON

Newspaper:    
Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    
The above were held 30 cases for hearing. James Kiernan versus Alice Rorke. Trespass. William Arnold versus James Arnold Trespass and threatening language. Thomas Thompson versus James Kells. James Kells vesus Philip McGovern. Philip Lee and Bernard Lynch fined. Charles Duffy.
Date:    24 September 1891 Newspaper Subject:    PETTY SESSIONS CARRIGALLEN

Newspaper:    
Newspaper Content:    Above was fataly injured when the house of his nephew was attacked by armed party, he was buried in Carrigallen Churchyard.
Date:    24 March 1849
Newspaper Subject:    TODD ROBERT LEGANOMMER SEE JAMES TODD UNCLE OF ROBERT ARNOLD

Newspaper:    
Newspaper Content:    Application by above Re; his inention to register a Freehold at Corrocopel, Barony of Carrigallen.
Date:    23 May 1829 Newspaper Subject:    SHERRITT JAMES CORROCOPEL

Newspaper:    
Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    Mentioned in notice of sale of dwelling house and lands by public auction at courthouse Ballinamore.
Date:    16 March 1899
Newspaper Subject:    SHERRARD GEORGE HUSBAND OF SARAH SHERRARD NEE SARAH FERGUSON

Newspaper Content:    Mentioned in notice of sale of dwelling house and lands by public auction at courthouse Ballinamore.
Date:    16 March 1899
Newspaper Subject:    SHERRARD SARAH NEE SARAH FERGUSON SISTER OF WILLIAM FERGUSON

Newspaper:    
Leitrim Gazette
Newspaper Content:    Returned after 21 years in America. Entered Mohill Workhouse.
Date:    25 September 1862
Newspaper Subject:    SHERRARD CARRIGALLEN

Offline GeoffreyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 April 11 05:38 BST (UK) »
Dave,  Thanks for your reply.  I am a bit confused.  Was Edward the Blacksmith mentioned in the Leitrim Observer Newspaper in 1854?  I thought such was indicated in the earlier post but not mentioned in the references you have kindly listed.   Is there a link to Irish newspaper archives in general - I must have missed it when searching around. I am pleased to see the Arnolds were still in the area but dont think we have a close tie to any of them as my ancestor and his six siblings had all left by the late 1850s, supposedly after Edward died.  I have found descendants of all the siblings in the US, Canada and Australia and none knew of any ties or connections there after. Thanks for your interest.  Geoff.  (USA).   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 April 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
No, like I said, there is no mention of any Edward in 1854 or any other year.

irishnewsarchives.com would be the site, maybe your local library has a subscription? or to a similar site?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 April 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry, meant to mention that it couldn't have been mentioned in the Leitrim Observer in 1854 as it wasn't established until 1889.