Author Topic: Personal Recollections of a Dublin long since gone  (Read 24606 times)

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Recollections-- Come down and fight you Bowsie!!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 22:47 BST (UK) »
My sister is visiting from Dublin and, as usual we sat reminiscing and the conversation turned to the above story regarding mum feeding Paddy Riley. She told me the following which, until today I was unaware of. LOL  Paddy had arrived for his usual tea and morning toast but mum was not back from Mass. She decided to do the honours. Mum arrived just as she was handing Paddy his breakfast and in her words, " I got a good boxing around the ears" because I had not put his bread on a side plate and both plate and tea on a tray!!!!!1.  We are still laughing as she is very indignant about this episode. LOL   Bridget x
Lalor/Lawlors in Co.Kilkenny
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois
Lawlors and Hennessy in Dublin

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dublin Recollections--And the dead arose and appeared to Paddy
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 15:33 BST (UK) »
This old mind of mine reminds me of a volcano, sometimes latent, yet other time erupting like Mount Etna! Like lava, the memories come pouring out hitting objects along life’s way thus evoking particular memories of events, places and times in no particular order! Strange, how something as insignificant as a song, playing in the car as you drive along or even as background music in the supermarket, can, in one moment cause a tiny rip in the fabric of time allowing a glimpse into a past memory long since forgotten. It so happened I was selecting some fruit at our local supermarket when over the Tanoy came the strains of the song “Begin the Beguine”. I, and indeed all our family members associate this song with my late mum’s brother Paddy. Although a quiet man who did not have a lot to say, when he did speak he was possessed of a most wonderful dry wit. While all around him were doubled over laughing, he would sit there, a face like granite and not a smile. He had the most amazing singing voice and was never happier than when at a party to sing all night without prompting. I recall one occasion when we had all returned to Ireland for a family funeral. Later, at a gathering in the local bar male family members each paid for the “rounds” When it was Paddy’s round he gave the waiter the order but on receiving the bill his face visibly paled as he squinted at the bill total, (drinks are a lot more expensive in Dublin although you get a much larger measure) Reaching into his inside pocket, he withdrew not his wallet but his O.A. pension book and throwing it on the table proclaimed to the astonished waiter “You robbing ba----ds, take this and cash in next weeks pension while you are at it, that should cover this bill!! Luckily, this type of wit was acceptable in the Dublin of my youth! One of my earliest memories of uncle Paddy again revolves around death. As stated in an earlier story, my mum was the one called upon to wash and lay out the bodies of people who had died in our street. In those far off days there were no fancy undertakers or funeral parlours and even had those services been available we, and our neighbors would have been too poor to take advantage of them. Mr. Sullivan, a wonderful kind old gentleman who lived in the basement of our house, died. Having lost his wife some years earlier he lived alone and had no family or relations. Mum had “adopted” him and as well as doing his washing and shopping made sure he had a hot meal each day. As Mr. Sullivan was of the protestant faith, (the only one in our street) mum went and fetched the vicar. He assured mum he would make all the funeral arrangements and mum offered to wash and lay the old man out. The vicar duly arrived next day with the most elaborate white shroud with the front embedded with small seed pearls and lace! Mum had never seen anything like it.  We had only ever seen the plain brown shroud with the I.H.S. emblazoned on the breast. She set to and washed the old chap but when it came to putting on the shroud discovered the arms would have to be “threaded” through the front as the ties were at the back! A tiny lady, mum was having great difficulty trying to support the body while trying to tie the back ribbons. Gently laying him down she went to the door and shouted upstairs for uncle Paddy to come and help. “What do you want me for? I am not going down there” he answered. “Come down here you coward, poor old Mr. Sullivan can’t harm you, he’s dead “ After much persuasion, and with hesitant footsteps, uncle Paddy arrived in the basement. “Now this is what I want you to do Paddy, you lift and hold the body up while I get the shroud on and tie up the back” said mum. A very reluctant Paddy did as he was told pulling Mr. Sullivan up by the arms thus enabling mum to fit the fancy shroud. All that was left to do was tie the back ribbons
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Recollections---- And the dead arose and appeared to Paddy.
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
At this point mum was behind and underneath the raised body when all hell broke loose!!!Suddenely, a great weight descended on my tiny eight stone mum trapping her beneath the body of 15 stone Mr. Sullivan! “Paddy, Paddy, in the name of God, what’s happened? Where are you? (No answer) “Paddy (In a very angry voice)  Where are you?if you don’t get back here and help me out you will be getting fitted for a habit (Shroud)” but still no answer! Poor mum, trapped beneath a body in a dark cellar the only light coming from a dim gas mantle on the wall. To make matters worse, the only other adult in the house was Nana and she, poor old soul was deaf! Mum eventually managed to extract herself from beneath the body of Mr. Sullivan and went tearing up the stairs ready to give the brave Paddy what for! “Where is he,” she asked Nana. “I don’t know, he came charging up the stairs as though the devil himself was after him, he was white faced and looked very ill” replied a very indignint Nana who, I might add would not let the sun shine on her only darling son! It was said she used to warm his potty before she let him sit on it!! LOl
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 15:39 BST (UK) »

My very angry mum went looking for Paddy and found him in the local pub shaking and downing whiskeys like there was no tomorrow and so traumatised he looked like a snail on Prozac! The only audible sound coming from his white lips was “His eyes opened, his eyes opened” Despite mum explaining that this sometimes occurs when a body is suddenly jerked up Paddy was having none of it. Until the day he died many is the free pint of Guinness he earned from his cronies relating the story of how he saw a dead man’s eyes open!!! God Bless you uncle Paddy, you were indeed one hell of a character! Bridget x
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Recollections.== A Man Called Bang -Bang
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 March 07 05:08 BST (UK) »
Now, now, Bridget! You are too modest. Doodle, in deed! I look forward to your Paddy story. I grew up in Rostrevor and Warrenpoint up in County Down where we had our share (and more) of characters too.
Keep writing.
Pat

And Anne, I too got a kick out of your proud claim of having been shot by Bang Bang!
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Recollections.== A Man Called Bang -Bang
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 March 07 05:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 March 07 05:36 BST (UK) »
Bridget:
I can hardly type this with all the laughing. Thanks and God rest Paddy and Mr. Sullivan.
Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 March 07 05:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bridget. I too had a good laugh.

Where would we be without the Mr Sullivans and Paddys of this world. 

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 March 07 09:22 BST (UK) »
Thank's Pat and Christopher.   Good to raise a laugh.  To be honest I am not sure if I might offend people by  putting these stories on here.  I get carried away and do not want to "hog" the board, after all it is for genealogy purpose's so not sure if I am in order.  Bridget x
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois