Author Topic: PARSONS of Trowbridge  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Sophronia13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PARSONS of Trowbridge
« on: Sunday 15 April 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
I would like to find the baptism and parents of Samuel PARSONS born Trowbridge, Wiltshire c. 1807.  Samuel married Mary TAYLOR c. 1827 probably in Trowbridge, although she was born in Bath, Somerset.  The PARSONS left Trowbridge and relocated to Wales, but in all census records he says he was born in Trowbridge.
Finding his marriage in Trowbridge would be a bonus.

Many thanks.

Nancy Frey
Newcastle, Ontario, CANADA

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: PARSONS of Trowbridge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 07 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Nancy

I don't know anything about this family, although I suspect there could be a distant link between the Candy and the Parsons families in Trowbridge.

However, I wonder if the marriage was actually in Somerset instead of Wiltshire? It was common to marry in the wife's parish, and since Mary Taylor was from Bath, I wonder if that's where they married?

Going back to the 1841 Census, it looks as if the children in order were;

James (b ca 1829) Not born in Wales
Mary (b ca 1830) Not born in wales
Elizabeth (b ca 1832) Not born in Wales
Samuel (b ca 1835) Born in Wales
John (b ca 1839) Born in Wales
Henry (b ca 1841) Born in Wales

In 1861 there was also
Harriet (b ca 1843) Born in wales
Jane (b ca 1849) Born in Wales

So it looks as if they moved from England to Wales in about 1833 or 1834.

Back in England, the most likely birthplace would be Somerset or Wiltshire, and in 1861 Elizabeth is shown as Trowbridge, Wilts.  It is interesting to note that their first(?) male child was named James (not Samuel) which suggests that this could be the name of Samuel's father back in Trowbridge.

If you can't find the marriage any other way, you could have a look at familyhistoryonline.net, where there is a marriage in Somerset in 1827 for a Samuel PARSONS and a matching entry for a Mary TAYLOR, although I don't know if they are a couple.

Good luck with your research.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline Sophronia13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

This is a very tardy reply for which I apologize and I thank you for your input.

Since my first posting I have found the marriage:

Samuel PARSONS married Mary TAYLOR 17 Aug 1828 Abergavenny, Monmouth, England (sic) (FamilySearch)

In every census record that I have Samuel PARSONS says he was born in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.  I am not the only researcher looking for his baptism, and all continguous parishes have been searched.  We have com to the conclusion that Samuel's parents were non-conformists and we have just not found the correct non-conformist church records.

What Samuel & Mary were doing in Abergavenny is anyone's guess as they baptised most of their children in Hilperton, Wiltshire before moving to Newport, Monmouthshire between 1835 and 1841 and that is where they spent the rest of their lives.

Samuel was a plasterer and concensus is that he went to Newport for work.

If anyone ever finds a baptism c. 1807 for my Samuel, I'd love to hear from you.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
The 1828 Marriage is on FreeREG, ;
Saml Parsons/Mary Taylor
Bachelor/Sponster, both of the Parish at time of Marriage
Samuels Occp a Tiler *

Having you also considered he was illegitimate and his Mother married a Parsons soon after his birth?
(who may or not been his Father)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
I see he remarried 1878. Do you have the M/C to confirm his Fathers name/occp?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)