Author Topic: 1841 census glamorgan  (Read 2003 times)

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 census glamorgan
« on: Monday 16 April 07 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi  Adicol  I"m Joanna Dot ,I wonder if you could look up Peter Dinneen/Dineen/Denneen,in the 1841 census in Glamorgan for me ,I dont have any info on him no wifes name or his age though his daughter Eliza was born about 1815 ,so he would be about 50 or so ,Thank you I would be very grateful for any info on him ,Its a great site  :)
                                        Joanna Dot 

Offline Mike Thw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census glamorgan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 07 13:52 BST (UK) »
Cannot find any Peter in 1841 with any of those surnames (or anything close!)

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 07 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Merc2081 for replying so quickly ,the reason I put Glamorgan was because his daughter was born there ,its hard to pin point just where the family lived ,I did find one family in Risca Mon but it wasn"t them on the 1851 census,some of the family were born in Caerleon Mon on that ,Its hard to find anyone born before 1837 unless you know the town they were born in and can find the church they were christened in ,Her marriage cert doesn"t give much only she was a widow aged 36  b Glamorgan her father was Peter Dineen a cattle dealer ,when she married my ggfather Patrick Fitzsimmons in 1843 in Liverpool thats all the info I have on her .Thank you for trying for me ,I am very grateful to you .   Joanna Dot   :)

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
If she was a widow what was her married name before Fitzsimmons .Might help to narrow down where first marriage took place to see where she lived then.Might help in locating her Father

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Welsh Lady ,thank you for replying to my email regarding Eliza Dinneen,
 Her married name before she married my ggfather was O driscoll ,I have tried from 1837 when the bmd first started but no joy ,when did the voting lists first start ? maybe I should start there to find her father Peter and maybe Odriscoll ,so I will have to try other ways to find them .If I come up with anything I will let you know ,Thank you again I am very grateful to you .
                             Joanna  Dot :)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
The problem with electoral registers in the 1840s is that not many people were entitled to vote. They've been around since 1832, but to start off with only men owning land worth at least £10 could vote, or leasing land of that value in the town.
From 1867, owning land in the country worth £5 or paying rent of £50 and all male householders in the town.
From 1884, male householders in the country.
From 1918, all men over 20 and women over 30.
From 1928, all women over 20.
 :-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Osprey for the info on voting lists so it is no good me going there ,I dont know if the family had any money so I can forget that ,I will just have to plod on and hope I hit the right one .It was very good of you to be so prompt in replying to me ,I will let you know if I am lucky in finding the family ,I am sure this is the best site ever ,you have found quite a lot for me in the past for which I am grateful I have given this site to quite a few people and have found what they were looking for ,so thank you again,  Joann dot  :)

Offline Mike Thw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 12:15 BST (UK) »
With all these Irish names turning up and no signs in the 1841 census (can't find an Eliza O driscoll, b 1807 (1843-36) ), I'm starting to think you may be searching in the wrong country (??)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 12:51 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth does give Glamorgan as her place of birth in 1851(?), but I don't know if she is ever more specific. Without a parish, however vague, I don't know what to suggest.

Glamorgan Family History Soc do look-ups for members - might be worth joining just for the look-up. If he was a cattle-dealer, did he leave a will?

www.rootsweb.com/~wlsglfhs/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb