Author Topic: Is this the right marriage?  (Read 1603 times)

Online jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gt Gt Grandfather Shepherd from Aberdeen 1827-1910
    • View Profile
Is this the right marriage?
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping that some of you Rootschatters with a better knowledge of Scottish geography etc (I'm from Yorkshire!) might be able to help me decide whether or not I have found a marriage which I've been looking for for quite a while.

My greatx3 grandfather Alexander Shepherd was born in Marnoch, Banffshire in 1769, son of James Shepherd and Margaret Milne/Mill.

There are 4 more siblings born/baptised in Marnoch and 2 later ones born/baptised in Banff. All (except the oldest - more of him in a minute!) were recorded as the children of James Shepherd and Margaret Milne or sometimes Mill.

The eldest - George - was baptised in Marnoch on 8 March 1761 and is recorded as George Shepherd or Miln, leading me to suspect that he was illegitimate.

The marriage I have found is in Alvah on 31 May 1761. I had a bit of trouble locating Alvah but finally found it  - just a few miles from Marnoch and Banff.

The thing is - this marriage is recorded as being between James PIRIE and Margaret Milne, and, yes, it definetly says Pirie (twice, actually, because it's also written in the margin on the OPR).

I've looked in the OPRs and on the IGI but I can't see any children in this area at this time to a James Pirie and Margaret Milne/Mill.

So, what do you think? Have I got the right marriage? Could it have been an error by the clerk? Is there a reason I don't know about why James may have been called by a different surname to Shepherd?

I'd welcome any opinions/advice. As it stands, I'm really of the opinion that this is my marriage - so, if you don't agree, please let me down gently!!!   :'(

Jill
MAJOR BRICKWALLS -
1. WILLIAM HORWOOD bn c.1779 in or near Berks. N.B. NOT s/o William & Joanna in Waltham St Lawrence.
2. BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.
3. JOSEPH SYMONDS md Sarah ? c. 1738/40 died Hambleden, Bucks 1785.
4. GEORGE BISHOP bn 1816 East Yks supposedly emigrated to US c.1853. What happened to him?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I think it would be a very unsafe presumption indeed.

HOWEVER, I have another puzzle.

You talk about children of James SHEPHERD (variously spelled) & Margaret MILL/MILNE.

However Geo SHEPHERD or MILN bap 8 Mar 1761 in Marnoch is the son of Alexr SHEPHERD & Mart MILN  ???

JAP
PS: Children of James SHEPHERD & Margaret MILL/MILNE seem to be:
Isabel 1762
James 1764
Jean 1766
Alexander 1769
George 1772
John 1776
all the above Marnoch
William 1779 in Banff (but this is a submitted entry)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gt Gt Grandfather Shepherd from Aberdeen 1827-1910
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right marriage?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
You're right, of course, JAP. I think I knew that George (1761) was the son of Alexander Shepherd and Margaret Milne/Mill somewhere in the back of my mind!  I got carried away!

It still leaves the whole situation still very unclear. Did Margaret have a baby with this Alexander Shepherd before marrying James Pirie (possibly Shepherd!)?

I know it's dangerous to make assumptions but there does come a time when - especially this far back - you have to make a leap of faith!!   ::)

This is why I tried to find any possible children of James Pirie and Margaret, without success.

I suppose the truth is that I'll probably never know for sure!

Thanks for bringing my feet back down to the ground!!   :'(

Jill
MAJOR BRICKWALLS -
1. WILLIAM HORWOOD bn c.1779 in or near Berks. N.B. NOT s/o William & Joanna in Waltham St Lawrence.
2. BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.
3. JOSEPH SYMONDS md Sarah ? c. 1738/40 died Hambleden, Bucks 1785.
4. GEORGE BISHOP bn 1816 East Yks supposedly emigrated to US c.1853. What happened to him?