Author Topic: Beattie family in Hawick  (Read 36339 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie family in Hawick
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 October 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, 2nd cousin!  ;D

I have a load of photos, including a surprise about that house you mention!

Have PM'd you contact details.

Thanks for the link - I have a couple of the books mentioned there!

Look forward to hearing from you, coz!

Regards,
Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline RMP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 December 11 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My great great aunt Elizabeth Porter married Thomas Beattie of Langholm (1860-1927) and had two children by him: Robert John Beattie (1880-1960) and William Campbell Beattie (1892-1917; killed in action in France). I've been researching William Campbell's war experiences on-line in the War Office files (his were one of the 40% that fortuitously survived the WW2 bombing, and make fascinating reading).

Thomas Beattie is described on his tombstone as a 'Sculptor', which is typical of the Langholm Beattie's during this period: he was David Johnston Beattie's uncle, after all!

My first question is this. Are Thomas Beattie and David Johnston Beattie related to the Hawick Beattie's, and if so, how? The most well known of these are of course the sculptor father and son Thomas Beattie and William Francis Beattie, whose masterpiece is of course the Hawick 1514 Memorial, the famous 'Horse'.

My second question is: does anyone know whether Robert John Beattie married and had descendants? It would be interesting to know whether or not I have living Beattie relatives out there!

Sending you thanks and BW, Robbie Porter

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

David Johnston Beattie was the 4th child of fifteen born to Joseph Edward Beattie and Janet Davidson. The last child, Charlotte was boen shortly after her father died. Subsequent to that, Janet, the surviving spouse, moved to Hawick, taking with her such of her children that were still living at home.

I'm not sure if she moved to Hawick to be nearer other Beattie relatives or her own family.

According to the family tree I have, drawn up by DJB, Robert John was married (alas no name given) but he had three children:

Elizabeth (m. Graham)
Agnes
Thomas C. , (m.?) - one child, Marilyn.  (I presume this Thomas' middle name may have been Campbell?)

PM me if you want a copy of the Family tree DJB wrote - back to John Beattie (b.1701)  m. Margaret Halliday

BTW - my maternal Grandfather was one of DJB's siblings - although he was the middle child and the fifth son, he bears the same name as his father: Joseph Edward! Go figure!

Regards, Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Ray Beattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robbie
In response to your enquiry regarding issue of Robert John Beattie I can help a little. He had 2 daughters and a son. Elizabeth Beattie whose married name is Graham, Agnes Beattie and Thomas Beattie. I don't have any further information and have gleaned this from various other family trees. I am the grandson of David Johnstone Beattie. It is likely that there will be connection with Hawick although I have not found it as yet.
Best wishes
Ray Beattie

Offline RMP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 December 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

Many thanks for this.

I'm guessing that Elizabeth was named for her mother, my 2 x great aunt Elizabeth Porter.

Stoney replied to me earlier on this site, and provided some useful information. Robert John Beattie's son Thomas had a daughter, Marilyn. Do you have their dates? It's likely that there will be Porter / Beattie descendants out there somewhere. Stoney also sent me a very useful Beattie genealogy, which I'm guessing you already have?

The Langholm / Hawick link MUST be there somewhere, unless of course there were two distinct Beattie families of outstanding stonemasons / sculptors operating at the same time just a few miles apart!

VBW, Robbie

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
If it's of any interest or help, attached is a .rtf file of the Beatties mentioned in the book, Hawick and the War.  A while back I was looking at the Hawick connection - but didn't get anywhere.

Bruce

Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline RMP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Bruce,

Many thanks for that, outstanding! I've heard of the book 'Hawick and the Great War', and I'm hoping that you can help me out a bit more.

My grandfather Robert Porter fought with the KOSB's during the war, was invalided at Gallipoli and subsequently was made a POW in 1917 in France. He survived, and died in 1947. Is he in your copy of the book?

Also, he had three cousins from Hawick, all killed. Three of them (Robert Porter, John Porter and David Porter were brothers, the sons of Robert Porter).

The other cousin was John Porter, son of John Porter. I'd be surprised if the brothers at least aren't in the book, I think it was the only example from Hawick of three brothers killed.

Finally, the last of the six cousins that I've identified was William Campbell Beattie, b. in langholm in 1892 and d. at Arras in 1917 (his mother was my great-great aunt Elizabeth Porter).

If there are any pics, I'd be particularly grateful!

Sending you thanks, Robbie

Offline Ray Beattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 December 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks
Well I think that we have a tenuous connenction with The Langholm & Hawick Beatties. In Bruce's Hawick & the War there is a paragraph which mentions Pte James Beattie sending a Greek coin to his brother D J Beattie who lived at Scotsknowe Carlisle. The following link from the Eskdale & Liddlesdale Advertiser confirms this is the same D J Beattie (grandfather)  http://www.eladvertiser.co.uk/news/langholm_s_forgotten_son_1_648450
The only problem I have is that their parents did not live in Hawick but presumably James did!
Ray

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 09:13 GMT (UK) »
DJBeattie's widowed mother (Janet Davidson) moved (back?) to Hawick from Langholm following the birth of her last child, Charlotte (c.1902?).

She died there, 7th April, 1933, aged 77. Address given on death certificate looks like 12 Trinity Street, Hawick. Death registered by son, D.J.Beattie, 'Kenilworth', Talbot Road, Carlisle.

Sometime in the 1960's, when I was a child,  some relatives visited us from Hawick -  my Mum (DJB's neice) laughed when I tried to say it 'Haw-wick'  ;D