Author Topic: Beattie family in Hawick  (Read 36344 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie family in Hawick
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hey, Mauney - just had a trawl through the Family Tree and found you! I see some of your kids have 'Beattie' names - Rachel and Andrew!

Surprisingly, we chose those for our own kids - thinking we'd avoid family politics by not favouring any particular relative. It was only years later that I started researching the family tree and discovered how many Andrews and Rachels there were!

And latterly my maternal aunt (Pat) mentioned an Aunt Rett (Rachel) and Uncle Andra (Andrew).......  :P

Regards, Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Heathmat

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was George Beattie Oliver of Hawick b. About 1880 I reckon. According to the Scottish custom of using the mother's maiden name as a middle name I am guessing his mother was a Beattie. Not sure if this matches up with anyone's information?

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 July 15 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just come across this post, I am looking for an Elaine Beattie who was resident in a children's home in Hawick in the 1950's/60's, anyone came across this name?

Brandane
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 November 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoney,

You may have missed this post ???

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CharlotteAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 January 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoney

Have just read your post(which was posted a while ago) but I am decended from Charlotte, she was my Great grandmother.

Its been a long time since I have looked into my family tree and was only having a little boggle and found your post.

I did have a copy of the tree years ago but has been lost when moving would it be possible to get a copy from you.

Regards
Charlotte

Offline am101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 June 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
I am new to Roots Chat and hope to get some help from seasoned members so as to further my  family research!
I am very interested to see this subject as I am directly descended from the Beattie's of Hawick/Langholm/Carlisle!
My maternal grandmother was Janet Hounam Beattie, born 1899, a sister to David Johnstone Beattie and daughter of Joseph Edward Snr and Janet Davidson.
I have been fascinated in reading through this post and wondered if anyone could help me with some background to the family?
One thing that is always a bonus is family pictures and I wonder if anyone knows if any may survive or in which archives they may be held?
I would really appreciate some help and hope that I can expand what I know about this interesting family.
Many thanks!

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 June 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat am and Charlotte,

I have just sent stoney a message to let her know of your new replies, for some reason her notification on this topic had been turned off. Hopefully she will now be able to read your new replies.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 June 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
I am new to Roots Chat and hope to get some help from seasoned members so as to further my  family research!
I am very interested to see this subject as I am directly descended from the Beattie's of Hawick/Langholm/Carlisle!
My maternal grandmother was Janet Hounam Beattie, born 1899, a sister to David Johnstone Beattie and daughter of Joseph Edward Snr and Janet Davidson.
I have been fascinated in reading through this post and wondered if anyone could help me with some background to the family?
One thing that is always a bonus is family pictures and I wonder if anyone knows if any may survive or in which archives they may be held?
I would really appreciate some help and hope that I can expand what I know about this interesting family.
Many thanks!

Sorry - only just picked this up! I'm away in Norway, due back in the UK later next week. I have some interesting bits I can share with you! I also have a family tree which DJB and his son, Kenneth, worked on - your Grandmother will be on it!
I'll PM you - we're 2nd cousins!  ;)

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 11 June 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat am and Charlotte,

I have just sent stoney a message to let her know of your new replies, for some reason her notification on this topic had been turned off. Hopefully she will now be able to read your new replies.

Regards

Sarah

Thanks for the nudge, Sarah! Don't know anything about notifications being turned off (not aware if I may have done that inadvertantly???  ???)  but my contact email is different to the one that defaults to my phone and that's all I have with me (currently on holiday in Norway!) so I still wouldn't have known!

Will p/m am101!

Regards
Stoney