Author Topic: Trying to find a Jones!!  (Read 2077 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Trying to find a Jones!!
« on: Wednesday 18 April 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
I have a Robert Jones born in Shropshire, he married Fanny Pearce in 1835.
They are both in the 41 census and then she is in the 51 with husband away from home.

I think I've found him in the 51 as brother in law to Joseph Brazer and his wife Tabitha.

I wonder if anyone might be able to find Robert's birth details and whether Tabitha is his sister. Otherwise it might be that Joseph is his brother in law through Fanny in which case I've got the wrong surname!

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Joanna
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a Jones!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 07 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Joanna

On the IGI in batch P008591 there is a Fanney Pearce who was christened in Dawley Magna in 1812. Her parents are stated as being Richard and Elizabeth Pearce. I wonder if this could possibly be your lady ?  If so.....

Also on the IGI in batch C008592 the following christenings are listed for later children of Richard and Elizabeth Pearce (or Pierce) in Dawley Magna:-

Tilisha  1816
Benjamin  1818
Caroline  1821
Elizabeth  1826
Mary Ann  1828

Do you think that the top one could be the same person as the lady married to Joseph ? Although that name has been transcribed as Tabitha on the census, it is not very convincing and the “b” could very easily be an “l”.

She would be the right age and from the right place and logically it would fit and explain the label of brother in law ascribed to Robert Jones on the 1851 census.

It might be a possible answer but I have not been able to come up with any absolute proof that it is correct. Joseph and his wife (whatever she was called) had a daughter called Elizabeth Rebecca on the 1851 census. Her birth registration seems to be available on FreeBMD (1846 Dudley JFM quarter 18 298 - Elizabeth Rebecca Brazier) and the certificate would give the name of her mother. Usually we only wish to find out the maiden surname of the mother but in this case her first name would also be very interesting.

I cannot find either of the first names (or similar) married to Joseph on other censuses but there is an Eliza (which could sound the same depending on how you pronounce the IGI name) Brazher from Dawley married to Joseph on the 1861 census (RG9/2011 Folio 82 Page 9). Both are the correct age and they could be the same people that appear on the 1851 census to which you refer. I think that Joseph is a widower by 1871.

Anyway Joanna, have a look yourself and see what you think.

If anyone else also wants to have a look at this possibility and can provide some definite evidence (one way or the other) please feel free to jump in.

Best wishes

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a Jones!!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 07 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi DS

Very interesting! Yes had assumed that Fanny on the IGI was mine.

I have found a marriage in 1837 between Joseph Brazer and Eliza Pierce. As you say she is Eliza in the 61.  One of their daughters was Eliza who is on the IGI with father Joseph and mother Eliza and a son Benjamin , the name of one of her brothers as well.  I noted that on the 51 she does have a second name, which is hard to read but could be Eliza.

regards
Joanna
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.