Author Topic: 1871 census - Lawrence  (Read 1268 times)

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1871 census - Lawrence
« on: Wednesday 01 December 04 05:33 GMT (UK) »
I've had no luck finding my g grandmother Ann Agnes Lawrence (or Laurence) in either the 1881 or 1891 censuses. I'm hoping she might appear in the 1871 census!

She was born in 1869 in Barford Street, Birmingham. Her parents were William Lawrence born about 1832 in Birmingham and Mary Ann. In 1869 William gave his occupation as stamper. In 1901 he was a corporation pensioner. (road lab)

Any help much appreciated.
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census - Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Saar I cant find them....What is it with this family....If u cant find them in 81 or 91 and I cant find them in 71.....Did they have an aversion to the census?....Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hang Ten I might have them only problem is Ann is 7 not 2!!!!! will post it...Kris

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 06:29 GMT (UK) »
This must be them!!! I am assuming u have birth cert 1869? ...everything else here fits exept Anns age   ???  which is deff not a Typo it is deffinately 7!!!

RG10/3104 ED 10 Folio 100 Page 29
No 4 Court 16 Barford Street
Birmingham Warwickshire

LAWRANCE William Head 32 Mar b Birmingham Warwickshire Stamper
LAWRANCE Mary Ann Wife 35 Mar b Birmingham Warwickshire Laundress
LAWRANCE Ann Sophia Dau 19 Unm b Birmingham Warwickshire Nail Cutter
LAWRANCE Albert William Son 14 Unm b Birmingham Warwickshire Scholar
LAWRANCE Mary Ann Dau 9 b Birmingham Warwickshire Scholar
LAWRANCE Ann Agnes Dau 7 b Birmingham Warwickshire Scholar

Cheers Kris....  :D

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kris

Many many thanks - that must be the right family - the address is almost the same as shown on Ann Agnes' birth certificate. Her age must have been transcribed wrongly somehow ............
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 06:46 GMT (UK) »
It is a bit peculiar isnt it.....Look at Williams age 32!!! 13 when eldest child is born....And Anns age does say 7 and Scholar...very strange!!! Not at all a difficult to read entry and no doubt at all on any of the ages....all as I transcribed they appear very clearly!!!....Kris  ???

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes wierd. Can't find anyone remotely like them in 1881!

I suppose the first 2 children just might have been step children - Mary Ann's maiden name was Geaves I think. Hard to read on the certificate. Also very odd to call 2 daughters Ann!

Nothing straightforward about this family. Poor Ann Agnes died shortly after my grandfather was born in 1900 so nothing much was known about her. Her grand daughter, my mother, also Ann Agnes, celebrated her 81st birthday yesterday.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hope your mum had a lovely day....I am looking at other censuses too but so far no success there is a 51 yr old widow William a lodger in 91 with sons but of course they r under 20 so dont know.....Could poss find William in 51 but that is not going to help this situation at all.....Yes I wondered with the 2 daughters as well...I bit peculiar but not unheard of...we would never do it ourselves but it seems they did...A lot of the time they were known in the family by there middle names so perhaps within the family they may have been Sophia and Agnes?.....In one of my lines I had an Arthur...No birth record ...No Marriage record...No death record...Eventually I found he was John Arthur which I had never even considered as he had an older brother John......We decided it may have been a mark of respect for the grandfather who died at around the time of the birth ....but at home he was Arthur and in 2 censuses as Arthur....then he became John and married etc...Didnt it confuse me for some time I can tell u.....Kris  :D

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kris

I think William's age was also a few years out in 1971. In 1901 his age was given as 69. So he could have been the father of the older children.
But I've double checked Ann Agnes' birth certificate - definately born 1869.

I suppose the ennumerator could have misheard - the information must all have been taken verbally in those days.

Getting the 1871 information is an enormous step forward for me and I am very grateful for your help.

Mary