Author Topic: Looking for Samuel Baverstock  (Read 12840 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Samuel Baverstock
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say how thrilled I am for you both to have found each other,

What a wonderful site this is  :D
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Mags3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 11 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Samuel Baverstock was my husbands ggg grandfather, and we recently found out he was a convict  transported to Tasmania in 1834. I then found your query on this site. I have also found his convict record and his description in the Tasmanian Archives. He left his wife, son John (my husband's gg grandfather) and daughter Ann here in Newbury and the 1841 census  shows they were then in the Newbury Union workhouse at this time.  I would be grateful if you could give me any more information about Samuel and his life in Australia. i know he lived in Reedbeds and died in 1893. Any more information about him and his descendants would be very much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Margaret

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I knew I had seen that name before. For the benefit of those on this thread, you might find the Baverstock history (including a bit about Samuel) more than interesting on John Lewis' site. http://startx.co.uk/Kingsclere  Baverstocks back to the 1730's.

On the Samuel page there is also a link to another researcher's website.

If the link doesn't work just put "startx Kingsclere" into your browser and a link to the site will come up.

Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline rosalieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 12 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
I have a newspaper article on Samuel Baverstock after his death describing his life in the Reedbeds. I also have convict records, his grave location and some stories about his uncle Timothy.  I would be very interested in what happened to his family that were left behind in Newbury.

Vicwinann - I can not find the page on Samuel Baverstock on the site you listed, can you give me some more information?
Thanks
Rosalie

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have sent you a PM as one cannot copy and paste on this part of the Rootschat site.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline rosalieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 January 12 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Vicwinann, very helpful and interesting information :)

Offline Mags3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 January 12 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosalie,
                Thanks for your message, I would be very interested the see the information you have on Samuel  and Timothy and their life in Australia. Are you related to them and if so how? Susan Baverstock was my husbands great grandmother. She was Samuel's son's (John's) eldest daughter.
I don't think I can add anything more than what is already written about Samuel's Newbury family  on the site http://startx.co.uk/Kingsclere. (I have been concentating more on researching my husbands' grandmothers side of the family) However I am hoping to go to Newbury sometime soon to try to find out more & see where they lived and were buried.

Margaret

Offline rosalieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 January 12 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Margaret,
I will send you a PM with that information.
Rosalie

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 January 12 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I have nothing on Samuel Baverstock but as you mentioned Timothy I thought I would look up.

In the Berks Marriage Index (ex BFHS) there is this entry;
Newbury St.Nicholas.
8-11-1814 Timothy Baverstock to Sarah Bridgeman. (No other details listed)

Might fill in a gap in your tree.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk