Author Topic: expert on Darley Abbey familes  (Read 1715 times)

Offline kenandjulie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
expert on Darley Abbey familes
« on: Friday 20 April 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
Is there an expert on the Victorian famiilys of Darley Abbey circa 1859----to present

Regards   KEn

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: expert on Darley Abbey familes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi kenandjulie: I can't describe myself as an expert on Victorian families in Darley Abbey, Derby.
My family came to Darley Abbey about 1885 when my great grandfather William Thurman born in Athertone in 1854 moved there for employment.
He was Gardner & Groomsman at the Vicarage for St. Matthew's Church.

Majority of people were employed by Walter Evans in the Boars Head cotton mill and mill workers families received a 3 story terraced house and a milking cow with grazing land.

William and Betsy Thurman lived at 10 Brick Row Darley Abbey and 2 of their 6 children were born there. Three generations, decedents of William and Betsy lived in Darley Abbey until recently.
Their only daughter Nellie married George Stevens in 1921 and Nellie was the Evan's Family Estate Agent (reporting to Ada Evans).
The Evans family owned the village and the mill until early 1930's. George Stevens was a carpenter and he was in charge of maintenance for the mill workers cottages. Nellie and George sat on Derby Counsil representing the Darley ward in 1920's to 1940's.   

Other Victorian Darley Abbey families were Newbolds, I went to the Walter Evans C of E School with Christopher and his father went to school with mine. His grandfather was a  gardener for the Evans family at the same time my great grandfather was a Gardener at the vicarage.
Other old Darley Abbey family names I can think of are Mather, Hickingbottom and Nelson.

I also saw you posted another thread asking about Wilson's in Victorian Darley Abbey?
Curiously one child of William and Betsy Thurman was a son, Ernest Wilson Thurman and his branch has had a male with middle name Wilson for at least 3 generations.

I have no idea about the Wilson Thurman connection though.     

Andy_T

Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw