Author Topic: Help to identify Derbys. placename - COMPLETED  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help to identify Derbys. placename - COMPLETED
« on: Friday 20 April 07 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On an 1861 Census, I have a birthplace originally shown as Ticknall but this is crossed out in favour of what looks like White Lee.  Opinion of local knowledge appreciated.

Thanks,

Sherwood

Census images are copyright of The National Archives
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline porkpiebaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify Derbys. placename
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 07 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood,

It definitely says White Lee.

However, I've looked on Genuki and there was no such a place. The nearest place I can imagine it may be is Willesley which isn't a million miles away.

"a rail-road from Willesley basin to Ticknall, passing Ashby-de-la-Zouch" (from Genuki)

This suggests they are close in proximity and were also linked.

What do you think?

Mandy
Fogg in Ashbourne/Heanor
Clarke in Loscoe/Codnor
Moon and Day in Mapperley
Stubbs/Sherwood/Ward/Midgeley in Leeds

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alvaston Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 07 09:45 BST (UK) »
my opinion.
on the census, the birth place is often just a small hamlet or even a farm house, often misspelt so my thoughts are this, the White lees above is possably incorrect, it is close to Sparrowpit, in North Derbyshire, a fair distance from Ticknall, in South Derbyshire, so i looked in the general area around Ticknall on my 1890s OS map and found just South of Derby Hills and South-East of Ticknall,  White Leys, this looks just a farm house, i think this to be the place of Birth. spelt on the census as sounded. Interestingly on the 1871 census, John Dexter is down as born "New England", which is also a Farm House near Derby Hills as well.
Regards
Alvaston Lad.

Images removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.
Betts - Derby/Hadleigh, Suffolk
Caudwell - Dbys/ Teversall, Notts
Hanson/ Henson - Alvaston/ Melbourne Dbys, Burton on Trent, Staffs
Eastham/Edge - Chorley, Lancs
Roome - Riddings, Dbys
Barber - Melbourne/ Kings Newton, Dbys
Gadsby - Breedon on the Hill, Lei
Powdrill - Breedon on theHill, Lei
Hopkinson - Shirland/Brackenfield, Dbys
Hunt/Wood/Oldfield - Sth Wingfield, Dbys
Carnell - Darley, Dbys
Barker - York / Derby
Morton - Derby
Frost & Newton - Heanor, Dbys
Hill-Tibshelf, Dby

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 07 13:58 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!  White Leys it is.  Thank you Alvaston Lad, especially for the maps. I was going to ask whether anyone had heard of New England and Derby Hills, but you've answered that as well. Most grateful.

Cheers,

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Dexter

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify Derbys. placename - COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
Sherwood - I see you have Dexter in your research interests and my Dexter family farmed at both New England and White Leys.  I wonder if we might have a connection.  What is your link to the Dexters?  Best wishes.  Nick Dexter