Author Topic: Matooskie's blue blanket  (Read 10638 times)

Offline HHellyer2021

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matooskie's blue blanket
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
Is the brother her full brother, or the son of the replacement bride?  'Cause he don't look like he's got any Native blood at all.  Just curious, nosy really

John was her full brother, he became a prominant merchant and second postmaster at Terrebonne, Quebec... her other full sibling, Louisa, married the furtrader Angus Bethune, that couple were gt-grandparents of Dr. Norman Bethune, hero to the Chinese...

Matooskie's father remarried at Terrebonne and had a wack of children there, many with interesting histories....

She was a fascinating character, and lived through interesting times... her marriage to McTavish happening during the invasion and capture of Oregon in the War of 1812 for example... Besides the file I noted at the top of this thread, real data junkies can follow more of the Mackenzie of Achiltibuie family in the descendancy chart I am scratching together at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coigach/altimack.htm

So can you get a bigger scan of the lady, so we can do her justice?  I would really like to try for her, I have a protective feeling towards the poor love

I have email out to the descendant, who I understand got the scan from her sister who has the original plate...

Donald.

This is so interesting and the photo is just incredible.

I'm fascinated by Matooskie's story and would love to chat with you further about your research Donald -

I'm a researcher currently working for a UK based history TV programme and I'd love to hear more about what you know about Matooskie and also your connections with her descendants if posssible.

Thank you so much,
Hermione

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
And why not a blue blanket

Cliff
South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 June 23 08:04 BST (UK) »
The who do you think you are TV program this week which featured The Mackenzie story was wonderful .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 June 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
It's nice to know that people on here had an input.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 June 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
 i watched the WDYTYA tv program which was based on a guy called Kevin Clifton who remembered his parents and grandparents talk of a Nancy aka Matooskie and found out the full story.  Fascinating.  Apparently she was financially taken care of when her husband left for the UK and married again and managed to leave £800 or $ in her will when she died.   Matooskie is apparently the Chippewa name for ' a person with difficulty' or suchlike, according to the native Canadian Genealogist in the program.
Great research, loved it. cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.