Author Topic: inverchaolin  (Read 65064 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: inverchaolin
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy, and welcome to RootsChat.

You haven't said where you have found your information, but if it wasn't at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, may I recommend that you check there to verify the various connections you have listed?

If the information came from anywhere else, it is not to be trusted unless it is an image of an original document.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, coming late to the discussion.

Archibald Black and Janet McChannich or Buchanan are my 3rd great grandparents.

I believe their children were Duncan (1785 Kilmodan) Mary (1787 Kilmodan) John (1789 Kilmodan) Jean/Jane (1791 Kilmodan) John (1793 Kilmodan) Janet (1795 Kilmodan) Walter (1797 Kilmodan) Archibald (1799 Kilmodan) and Niel (1804 Kilmodan). I have the OPRs from Scotland's people for all of these children (the spellings of Janet's surname do vary somewhat).

Janet herself I believe may have been born in Kilmodan in 1761, the daughter of Duncan McChannich and Jane or Jean Smith. If this is correct, she also has two sisters Margaret (1762 Kilmodan) and Jean (1767 Kilmodan). Again the OPRs are available on Scotland's People.

Archibald is more problematic, but I believe he has a brother named John who married Isabel McIntosh. The reason I believe these two are brothers is that the Black gravestones in Kilmodan are in a group of four similar stones, grouped together within a small fenced in enclosure. Two of the stones are badly eroded but one still clearly has Janet Buchanan, whilst the other has John Black and (just visible) Isabel McIntosh. The two other, much less eroded stones have members of Archibald and Janet's family, whilst the other has John and Isabel's descendants.

A further clue may be that just in front of the group a very badly eroded stone appears to say "The burial place of Archibald Black and Elizabeth..." There are OPRs of two children born to Archibald Black and Elizabeth Smith, Duncan born in 1765 and an unnamed child in 1772. Perhaps John and Archibald are also sons of Archibald and Elizabeth, but if so I can find no confirmation on Scotland's People.

@Sapienta Inverchaolin, Kilmodan, Glendaruel and Cowal are all close together, indeed the whole peninsula is known as the Cowal Peninsula. I have not found any marriage for Archibald and Janet McChannich, so I would be interested in where that comes from.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Marj62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 27 March 20 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, first post so bear with me if need be! Ancestors traced back to a John Turner born in 1781 from Inverchaolain, married Susanna McPherson. Struggling to find his parents - might be Duncan who married Catherine Wilson but cannot confirm. Wondering if anyone can assist!
Thanks!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 27 March 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, first post so bear with me if need be! Ancestors traced back to a John Turner born in 1781 from Inverchaolain, married Susanna McPherson. Struggling to find his parents - might be Duncan who married Catherine Wilson but cannot confirm. Wondering if anyone can assist!
Thanks!
Welcome to RootsChat, Marj62.

How did you find out that he was born in 1781 in Inverchaolain?

I see that John and Susanna were married in Dunoon in 1807, and there are two baptism records, both in Greenock: Dougald, 12 March 1813; James, 30 December 1825. That's a long gap, and I would be surprised if there are not several children missing from the baptism records.

There's a family at Sir Michael Street, Greenock consisting of John Turner, 60; Susannah Turner, 60; Duncan Turner, 25; and James Turner, 15. Adults' ages in 1841 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so John and Susannah could have been anything from 60 to 64, Duncan from 25 to 29, and James 15 to 19. That means that, assuming their ages had been accurately calculated, they would have been born between 8 June 1776 and 7 June 1781 (because the census was taken on 7 June 1841). Are these your John and Susannah?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Daniel Devlin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I am working on my family tree, found my great,great Grandfather, Malcolm Mc Lean 1794 - 1874 he was born in Inverchaolin, also married there and I believe he his buried in the local church yard there, I visited the burial site quite recently but sadly I could not find him as the old headstones are covered in moss, any info that I can find would be very helpful   

Offline Eamara1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am new to this so apologies if I haven't got the posting protocol right. I am looking for anyhting on Archibald (John) Campbell born 1753 who married a Barbara Turner in 1769.. His mother was Ann Ker (b 1725). There is a later connection with Bute. I also think Archibalds father may have had a connection with Ireland but not sure. It seems the Campbells were a prominent family so would be really grateful for any details. Thank you

Offline Heather Jean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 20 August 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
Reply to: sonofhelaman4817
Reply #88

[IMPORTANT  Side note, Mary and Archibald Brown had a son named for his father, and there is a marriage record for that boy to a spouse named Mary Mckillar(sic) date of 24 March 1800, 2 years after the death of his mother.]

Archibald Brown and Mary McKellar, m 1773 whose son, named after his father and born in 1780, are my ggg grandparents and gg grandfather. Mary died in 1798 as you said but her son Archibald didn't marry til 1809 to Jean Wier.

Archibald and Jean are buried in the Inverchaolain Churchyard, beside a headstone marking the burial of Archibald's mother in 1798.

The two headstones are beside a table-top stone but I haven't, at this stage, discovered whose burial that marks.

Just as clarification, there are two Archibald Brown and Mary McKiller/McKellar marriages. They are quite separate. The couple that married in 1800 had two daughters between 1801 and 1803. Their grand daughter married the son of the other Brown/McKellar in 1860 in Australia.
BROWN / WEIR / HARKNESS / McKELLAR / WHITE / McIVER / LOCHHEAD / CLARK: Inverchaolain, Dunoon, Innellan, Rothesay
McISAAC / ALLAN: Crieff, Perthshire, Stirling, Polmont, Raploch, Fintry
CRAWFORD / BROWN / McKELLAR / FISHER: Bonhill, Dunbarton, Argyll

Offline CraigHCampbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am researching a large armorial stone tablet that is reputedly associated with the Clan Currie, Balilone and Garracharan. I'm desperate to understand the significance of the symbols, text and it's historical origin. Any information greatly appreciated.
Regards

Offline Gary0371

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 12 August 22 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new to Rootschat and stumbled across this website whilst researching my late mothers family, Currie. I seem to have got back as far as my sixth great grandfather, Archibald Currie, who married a Mary B? (annoyingly the documents only show the first letter of her surname. I know they had a son called Malcolm Currie (my fifth Great Grandfather) who was born at Inverchaolain in 1748 but am struggling to find out much more or trace much further back. I’ve read all the posts on this thread and it would seem the Curries were quite important around these parts. I was wondering if anyone has any further information on their history to help me trace further back please?

I live in Dunfermline so may head over to the graveyard at Inverchaolain soon to see if i can find anything there.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Kind regards

Gary