Author Topic: PICKTHALL - In "The North"  (Read 8325 times)

Offline MAK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PICKTHALL - In "The North"
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,
My husbands mother was Irene Pickthall from Scorton, Lancashire. Her father was Fred Pickthall and his father Richard. Richards father was Ralph Pickthall born 1829 in Barbon, Westmorland. Ralph was also known as Ralph Allpike and was recorded as such on the 1851 census. He registered all his children as Allpike. I know there was a Ralph Pickthall in Kendal around the time our Ralph was in Scorton, Lancashire who was also know as Allpike. I think both Ralphs may have been cousins because I think the Kendal Ralph was born in Dent and I believe that my Ralphs father John Pickthall was born in Dent in 1793 the son of Henry Pickthall and Elizabeth IGI(I have not found a marriage for Henry and Elizabeth near enough to 1793 for it to be their marriage). John Pickthall married Agnes Croft in 1818 at Kirkby Lonsdale and died aged c36 in Barbon in 1831. John and Agnes had Henry 1819, John 1820, Thomas 1825, George born 1829 and Elizabeth born 1832 all in Barbon. I base my belief that John was born in Dent on the fact that he names his first born son Henry and only daughter Elizabeth. I think Elizabeth died in infancy both Ralph and Thomas moved to the Scorton area in Lancashire but I'm not sure about Henry, John and George.
There was a Joseph Pickthall in Kendal eary 1800's known as Jossie Hornpike, a potter and vetinary surgeon.
I wonder why the Allpike, Hallpike and Hornpike? In 1841/51 Agnes and her sons were various forms of Hallpike.
Regards
MAK

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 November 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Pickthall-Wilson b.1878 in Kendal and a John Pickthall b.1855 both marrying into my line of Heaps. Thomas and family emigrated to America.

Pall
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline Poppy2017

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 November 23 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi I hope this comes to the right person.  My great grandfather is Clarence William and was married to Anne Nevison.  They had several daughters together in County Durham one of which moved away and I never met