Author Topic: St Helier Marriage 1839 - MURLEY / SHORT  (Read 2454 times)

Offline mark Ashwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Helier Marriage 1839 - MURLEY / SHORT
« on: Wednesday 25 April 07 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for the marriage of Charlotte Ann MURLEY to Joseph Lot SHORT, sometime between April 1838, and April 1841, at St Helier.

I am also looking for the marriage of Harriet Talitha TOOGOOD to Augustus Shirley Paganini Bowden around 1855-1860 also at St Helier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mark
Ashwell, Dobson, Tarlington - Walsall
Hawley, Wilford, Bower - Leicester
Hawley - York
Choice - Leicester/ Hinckley
Skinner /Inns - Daventry
Sibey -  Lincolnshire
Walker /Jackson - Thorpe-on-the-Hill area
Wilford - Naseby

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier Marriage 1839 - MURLEY / SHORT
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 07 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

First the bad news. I coudn't find a Murley/Short marriage between those dates. As you appear quite specific, what led you to believe it was in St. Helier? Neither are mentioned in the 1841 Census.

There is a marriage of Harriet Tabitha (not Talitha) Toogood to Augustus Paganini Shirley Bowden (note different order) in the marriages at St Helier Church, October 1854 - August 1859 on page 76.

Stewart

Offline mark Ashwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Many thanks for the information you have found on the Toogood-Bowden marriage.

Regarding the Murley/Short marriage;-

I know that Charlotte Ann Toogood (Harriett's sister) married Thomas Gapper Murley on 10th September 1835 at St Helier.  They had a daughter  - Elizabeth Charlotte Murley, who was born in Halkett St, and Christened at St Helier on 15th April 1838. Thomas Murley died 2 weeks later - and was buried at St Helier on 30th April 1838.

In the 1841 census (Ref: HO 107 / 1461 / 8, page 26) Charlotte "Short" is living in Ann Street, Portland Place with Joseph Short - a Baker, Elizabeth (who is incorrectly named Short), and Henry Short.

In 1851 - now living in Bath Street, Elizabeth still appears as "short"

The 1861 census correctly lists her as Elizabeth C Murley - stepdaughter of Joseph Short.

But Henry is the son of Charlotte and Joseph. I had assumed that they married after Thomas died, and before the 1841 census.

Maybe I incorrectly jumped to the conclusion that they were married before 1841. Elizabeth's surname is listed incorrectly, so perhaps Charlotte's was also and she was still a "Murley". I guess they could have married after 1841 or not at all! - but from then onwards they lived as Husband and Wife

Again it was my assumption that they married at St Helier based on the locations above.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards and best wishes,

Mark

(bye-the-way Elizabeth Charlotte Murley is my Great-great-grandmother)

Ashwell, Dobson, Tarlington - Walsall
Hawley, Wilford, Bower - Leicester
Hawley - York
Choice - Leicester/ Hinckley
Skinner /Inns - Daventry
Sibey -  Lincolnshire
Walker /Jackson - Thorpe-on-the-Hill area
Wilford - Naseby

Offline wbmurley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Re Thomas Gapper Murley:  I have an Ann Gapper Murley born c1844 at Honiton, East Devon of John Murley & Sarah (Bowers).  Ann has brother Richard Thomas Murley bc1839 at Honiton.
In the IGI is an Ann Gapper Murley born 16jan1815 baptised Ottery St Mary, Devon of Richard & Elizabeth; this Ann has brother Thomas Papper [Gapper?] born 7jan1812 baptised there 8nov1812.
I have more.

Windsor Murley
use my email (*) since I don't look here

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php