Author Topic: LEDDY family , Co. Cavan  (Read 4494 times)

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LEDDY family , Co. Cavan
« on: Wednesday 25 April 07 17:19 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to place the Leddy family in Cavan.

They left for Stockport , Cheshire/ Lancashire after 1830 and before 1832 , where Bernard Leddy was "a hawker"

The parents were Bernard and Catherine , born at the end of the 1700's

Their children were Peter , James , Lawrence (born ca. 1830) and Bernard (born 1832 , Stockport)

Any information welcomed

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Leddy family , Co. Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello  linden,

The Dictionary of Occupational Titles describes a Hawker as a person who "Sells merchandise, such as fruit, vegetables, flowers, or ice cream, on streets or from door to door, usually using basket, pushcart, or truck to carry products."

There are a number of Leddy families in Griffiths Valuation for Co. Cavan which took place in 1856-7. 

You could try posting letters to people named Leddy living in Cavan ... www.eircomphonebook.ie contains a few and you could also send an email to the Editor of the Anglo Celt asking for a message to be put on the Letters page of his paper as this might produce a result. The address is in the link. 

Christopher

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Leddy family , Co. Cavan
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Christopher .
I hope that if I contact the Co Cavan genealogy Centre they should be able to identify the family for me .
I hadn't thought of writing to all the Leddys  -  do you think they might still know of a family that left in 1830 ? That would be really interesting .
And thank you for the suggestion about the Anglo Celt , I shall certainly try that .
Sorry I took so long to reply . This has really given me some more avenues to try .
Regards,
Linden

Offline auntjen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEDDY family , Co. Cavan
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
Are you still registered here?  I found this marriage information.