Author Topic: STEVENS, Dinton, Bucks 1841/51/61 lookup. Please  (Read 12630 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
STEVENS, Dinton, Bucks 1841/51/61 lookup. Please
« on: Friday 27 April 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for Daniel Stevens bp 1790 Dinton and Thomas Stevens bp 1777 Dinton children of Daniel and Elizabeth Stevens.

Any information about the Stevens family in the Haddenham, Dinton area about 1800 gratefully received.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STEVENS, Dinton, Bucks 1841/51/61 lookup. Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
There are 22 Stevens/Stephens indexed on the 1851 census as born Dinton and four Stevensons. The oldest Stevens was born circa 1801. The oldest Stevenson - Thomas was born circa 1770.
On the 1841 census there were 29 Steven/Stevens and Stevensons in Dinton (11 Stevensons). The oldest Steven was Catherine born circa 1786. The oldest male Stevens was Thomas born circa 1801 (adult ages on the 1841 census are usually rounded down to the nearest 5)

Dinton burials
24th June 1827
Daniel Stevens 76

14th August 1834
Elizabeth 84
or
13th March 1831
Elizabeth aged 63

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that Valda that looks very much like the burials for the parents and confirms that the bp I have found for a Daniel Stevens in 1753 at Aston Abbots, son of Daniel and Mary is likely to be the right one.

I have also found an Elizabeth Hitchcock bp for 1753 at Monks Risborough, daughter of Thomas and Sarah which looks promising and could tie in with the 1750 birth.

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
Good news !!!!!

I checked Dinton today for your Stevens and can confirm the following children to Daniel and Elizabeth.

Thomas 15/12/1777
Mary 18/6/1780
William 3/8/1783
Rebecca 6/8/1786

There was also a James and Elizabeth having children in Dinton at the same time.

Bad News !!!!

Thomas Stevens to Daniel and Rebecca 14/3/1790. I doubled checked on all of them just in case.

Now I looked for further children to Daniel and Rebecca but there were none. Also checked for a marriage of Daniel and Rebecca and a death for Elizabeth but no luck.

But I did find the marriage of Daniel Stevens and Elizabeth Hitchcock 21/7/1775 Dinton BOTP by banns. Witnesses were William Wootton  - Clerk - Schoolmaster and John Vandalim.

Jo

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jo - that gives me two children I didn't have.  It was me who found the Thomas Stevens bp in 1790 and have written it in my notes as son of Daniel and Rebecca - a bad case of mistrancriptive end of dayitis I fear! 

The trouble is you make a special trip to the records office and then have so much to do - next visit to Bucks record office I have a court case to look up, a coroner's inquest to look for and tithe records to dig through but it could be years before I get there.

Still it gives me something to do in my retirement - when I get there!

Gill

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 13:25 BST (UK) »
I think you may well be right. I was thinking on those lines myself. Especially as the death in 1834 aged 84 would fit in with the birth of Elizabeth in MR.

No death of Elizabeth and no marriage of a Rebecca to Daniel Stevens speaks volumes.

Perhaps they took little Rebecca with them  to the baptism and talked to her or admonished her if she was noisy and the rector picked up on the name. 

Makes you wonder though, if they can mistranscribe a name on the PRs, how often did that happen?

Jo

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have at least one other instance that I am sure of - Mary Bowyer married Thomas Tagg - I know she was Mary Bowyer and I know her mother was Sarah Bowyer - they are together in two census, when Sarah is shown as mother-in- law of Head of household Thomas Tagg. 

The dob is consistent throughout the census and so is the place of birth but the only Mary Bowyer in the parish records for the right year is shown as being the daughter of Mary and Thomas Bowyer - a couple who appear nowhere else although Sarah Skilling married Thomas Bowyer and both appear in the census together and with Mary before she married!

I think I will keep Thomas but put a note next to him!

Gill

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 February 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I think we are from the same Stevens line.

My 3x Grandfather was William Stevens c1801.  Baptised - St.Dunstans, Monks Risborough, to parents Thomas and Jane Stevens.

William Stevens married Rebecca Rogers 1823. Monks Risborough.

Their sons John 1824 and William 1826. both baptised at Dinton,  but were  living in Meadle, Monks risborough at the time, and the rest of their siblings at Monks Risborough.

I believe Thomas Stevens(1777 ) parents were Daniel and Elizabeth(Hitchcock).

I cannot find a marriage for Thomas Stevens and Jane ???. which is my main problem.

Any help please.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Steve, I really can't help you.  I have, at least for the moment, accepted that Daniel Stevens is a brick wall and have never really pursued his brother Thomas although I can see on A****** that several other people are researching his descendants.  Unfortunately Stevens is not an exactly uncommon surname - and there are quite a few with the forename Daniel, born about the right time and scattered around the place!