Author Topic: I want to learn Photo Restoration - Guidance needed  (Read 31903 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I want to learn Photo Restoration - Guidance needed
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 April 07 12:06 BST (UK) »
Dolly

Don't let your experience with Paint put you off, if it's the program I'm thinking of, that's not strictly speaking an "editing" software.  It's much easier with the real deal, honest!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 April 07 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi CP and Dolly
If you get Photoshop Elements, I'd also be willing to offer assistance as and when required.
Whilst I had much of the basic knowledge when I joined this site, in November 2006, I've still learned a lot more from the other Restorers, and the practice and encouragement received have certainly improved my application skills tenfold (no adverse comments from the masses please 8) 8) 8) )
Mudge 

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 April 07 14:48 BST (UK) »
I'd thought I would jump in here ,

I too , have gained quite a bit of knowledge since being on here , learning techniques and just as important , some of the technical points.
At the present I use PaintshopPro 9 , but soon I will be updating , as to which way , I don't know yet. Some who use Photoshop seem to get a better result , but how much is down to their individual knowledge and ability. An experienced and artistic person could create more with a cheap package , than an inexperienced person with a top of the range package.
Another little point , is 'add-ons' , plug-ins can make a vast addition to the end result , whether it is for the true restoration or for special effect (not that I use these much)  ;)
One question to the board :
For those of you who use Graphics tablets , would you say that they make a difference and are they worth buying ?

CP : Whatever software you use , don't try to compete with others , just enjoy what you are doing , then you will soon fit in to your niche. After a few weeks you will soon be as mad as us.

;D :o ::) :P ;D

I think thats enough from me !

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 April 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
One question to the board :
For those of you who use Graphics tablets , would you say that they make a difference and are they worth buying ?

CP : Whatever software you use , don't try to compete with others , just enjoy what you are doing , then you will soon fit in to your niche. After a few weeks you will soon be as mad as us.

Jim

Can you remember the first time you used a mouse and how difficult it was. Strange enough even though a graphics tablet and pen is exactly like drawing with a pen (well, almost) it will seem strange at first.

I do believe though that using the tablet and pen is more natural. For myself there is another advantage - I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and the graphics tablet/pen makes life much easier for me.
Remember though; these devises don't come cheap and unles you are really serious, then the benefit may be doubtfull.

As for your second comment there are rootschatters out there who consistantly turn out brilliant work - I wouldnt' dream of trying to compete; yet I still submit my inferior work: the thing is to try your best and enjoy the learning process.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 April 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
~~~~~~~~----------
As for your second comment there are rootschatters out there who consistantly turn out brilliant work - I wouldnt' dream of trying to compete; yet I still submit my inferior work: the thing is to try your best and enjoy the learning process.
~~~~~~~~----------

I have posted a couple of photo's for restore on this board and the restorers have done a brilliant job.

Denn - You're work isn't inferior, believe me.  It is nice to know that we, the learners, can post our first efforts and not disappoint anyone.  I've tried a couple and wondered what they would look like when posted, so may give the next one a go.

I too have RA and sometimes that damn mouse just won't do what it's told.  ;D

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 April 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
I'm lucky enough to have both Elements and the full PS (thanks to someone who will remain nameless  ;) :-* ), however I choose to use Elements as that's what I taught myself to use initially.  The differences between the full PS and Elements are minimal except for a massive price difference.  

Elements doesn't have curves and channels but there are other options to compensate.  Plus I've added features to Elements myself. So I bought the cheaper software and upgraded it (free) so it's probably superior than the full PS and a fraction of the cost.  If cost is not a consideration then go for the full version but try not to faint at the price difference!

Personally I don't think it's the package itself that makes the difference as they all have the same tools, but rather what you do with them and how adept you become at using them.  I know people that use totally free packages and get just as good results as PS users.  It just takes practice.  When I look back on my first restores and even current ones I cringe (my apologies to those whose pics I mutilated  ::) ) but everyone has to start somewhere.  The main thing is to not compete but have fun and don't be afraid to post your efforts because they will be appreciated!

Most of the restores done on here that are "super" clean and look near perfect aren't achieved using PS or Elements anyway, but rather with free filtering software like Noiseware that works extremely well if the pic is black and white or basic sepia and scanned at the correct dpi (if not correct dpi too much definition is lost).  It just takes a couple of seconds to use and you don't have to know much about restoration to use it, so when people say "here's a quickie", they are not lying (giving away restorers secrets here now  :-X).  If you  combine that with an editing package containing the basics, you really have everything you need to get you started as an amateur hobbiest, plus you save a bundle.  

Poll, Gadget and myself all use graphics tablets and highly recommend them, particularly for fine detail work as it gives you more control.  Sometimes I have the pen in my left hand and the mouse in my right working on a pic LOL.

Blimey..sorry I raved on so much!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
Denn,

I'm listening mate. ;)  I have added those 2 websites that you and Caz gave me, to my Faves and will be checking them out soon.

Unfortunately I have to start packing as I am on the move next week.  Then I will have to wait a few days before I am re-connected to phone and internet.  Hope they don't take a week.  I will then get stuck into all the reading.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Good to see we have another newby on board -  Sheila, welcome to our Workshop.

Hugs to all our Teachers ;D
CP
BAKER - Cornwall
BARRABLE - UK and South Africa
BROPHY - Kilkenny in Ireland,  South Africa
CORIN,  MARTIN, NICHOLAS, WILLIAMS  - Cornwall,  South Africa
EDWARDS - Wales,  South Africa
JAMES - Cornwall, London
KENT - UK, Ireland and South Africa
KLISKEY - Cornwall, South Africa, NZ, USA, Australia
KOWLESKEY or KOULESKEY - Russia (Kalingrad)
PERRY - Cornwall and Australia
UREN - Worldwide (One Name Study)

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Denn and Cazza,

I shall have to really think about the graphics tablet , I know they are a bit pricey   :o :o :o

I think this could turn out to be an interesting posting , reading the views of people at different levels and abilities. It should be helpful all round.

Cazza , I shall have to look into that 'Noiseware' , definately need that. I have often wondered why I am still messing around with picture , when somebody has already done a 'quicky'  :o :o

It looks like it boils down to the old adage :

It ain't what you got , it's what you do with it !

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Stop Press Caz can multitask, (pen and mouse together!) you seen it first here :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Cheers
Mudge