Author Topic: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall  (Read 23600 times)

Offline Maranth

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall
« Reply #36 on: Friday 27 January 17 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. My late husband attended Kneller Hall from 1949-1950. I visited England (from Canada) in June 2016 with a cousin. We enjoyed the concert on June 22nd. It was a lovely evening (no rain). On our way to her home to Eastbourne, however, we hit a thunder and lightening storm. While we were there (prior to the concert) we were told that Kneller Hall was no longer the RMS or Music. The reason they gave was the the building was old and not very pleasant for the students any more. I am not sure where the school of music is now. I just wanted to put my two-bits with in, as this adds to the information posted by other people.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Military School of Music - Kneller Hall
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 14 May 22 17:23 BST (UK) »
In case anyone is interested, I found out that my grandad's mother sent him to the Seaman's Orphanage Home in Hull, just a few months after his father died.  His election was 28 April 1893 and he was admitted on 9 May 1893.  He was 7 years old and he stayed there until 21 October 1899, he was almost 14 by then and it is thought that is where he learned to play various instruments. (There are many photos on line of boys at the orphanage playing in bands).  Records show that Walter was admitted to the orphanage as "a special case". 

It's interesting that only Walter was sent to the orphanage and the other 5 children stayed at home with their mother.  Was he a difficult child?  If so, this may have some bearing on his army discharge (long story short - He was discharged from the army in 1906 to Borough Asylum, Cottingham Hull.  Apparently a lunatic who was dangerous to himself or others (Army Regulations), and also the fact that my dad, one of his sons, said that his father had a ferocious temper.

He told his wife and children that he was an orphan without siblings, so I guess as he was living in an orphanage from the age of 7 to 14, he felt like an orphan.

So I guess Kneller Hall was just another of his white lies to cover up what really happened to him.