Author Topic: MORRIS family  (Read 16593 times)

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MORRIS family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 July 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
hi back zamir,
                   Yes i am doing both Morris and Roberts tree,though Morris is on my fathers maternal side..and Roberts is my mothers paternal side.Then again you just never know if families link up..It would be lovely to get in contact with your father.I do know when the Roberts moved to Australia in 1843,i think a son or grandson moved over Sydney way which would explain Canberra most likely.Canberra is 3 hours fom Sydney.What a headache this family is considering they came to Australia as free settlers.You and i share John and Leonora Roberts.They are my ggg grandparents having come from London and Wales.The Morris family coming from Worksop and Sheffield.Thankyou so mch for your help,i appreciate it very much..

Debbi...:)
Morris,chad,nelson,craven,roberts..wales,worksop,middlesex.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 July 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
Have you found anything more about Henry Morris born 1854, Debbie?     I had a quick look in Family Search and there is a Henry Morris born October 1854 with parents Henry Morris and Elizabeth Heaps.   However the only Henry Morris I can see of the appropriate age in 1861 comes up as aged 7 years born Worksop but living in Carlton and described as 'Stepson'.

Piece: RG9/2420 Place: Carlton -Nottinghamshire Enumeration District: 2D
Civil Parish: Carlton Ecclesiastical Parish: Carlton
Folio: 25 Page: 9 Schedule: 44
Address: Water Lane
        MORRIS       Elizabeth       Stpdau       -       F       12       Scholar        Nottinghamshire - Worksop            
        MORRIS       Henry       Stpson       -       M       7       Scholar        Nottinghamshire - Worksop            
        MORRIS       George       Stpson       -       M       3               Nottinghamshire - Worksop           

So if parents were Henry and Elizabeth, what has happened here?

Water Lane is at Carlton-in-Lindrick which is close to Worksop and where my great grandmother was born.   So we possibly have a link, though I cannot see it at the moment.   Malcolm(Melbourne)
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline debbi1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 October 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
hi back malcolm,sorry ive only just seen your post..believe it or not most of henry morris children were born in carlton so i think this may be one and the same..i kept getting hits of a george morris being henrys father..maybe elizabeth married george and he either died,or she left him.ive noticed the youngest child is 3 years old,wondering if elizabeth was left a widow or something with very young children and remarried.i can find henry where he was born and when but thats it,no burial nothing.
thanks for putting up the census of the family and i really think this is the henry morris im looking for.
by the way who was your g grandmother?..and was it that line that came to australia?..henry morris"s two daughters moved to australia in 1912 which were beatrice and amanda.beatrice had her husband ernest and two girls grace brenda and edith with them.
regards
debbi...:)
Have you found anything more about Henry Morris born 1854, Debbie?     I had a quick look in Family Search and there is a Henry Morris born October 1854 with parents Henry Morris and Elizabeth Heaps.   However the only Henry Morris I can see of the appropriate age in 1861 comes up as aged 7 years born Worksop but living in Carlton and described as 'Stepson'.

Piece: RG9/2420 Place: Carlton -Nottinghamshire Enumeration District: 2D
Civil Parish: Carlton Ecclesiastical Parish: Carlton
Folio: 25 Page: 9 Schedule: 44
Address: Water Lane
        MORRIS       Elizabeth       Stpdau       -       F       12       Scholar        Nottinghamshire - Worksop            
        MORRIS       Henry       Stpson       -       M       7       Scholar        Nottinghamshire - Worksop            
        MORRIS       George       Stpson       -       M       3               Nottinghamshire - Worksop           

So if parents were Henry and Elizabeth, what has happened here?

Water Lane is at Carlton-in-Lindrick which is close to Worksop and where my great grandmother was born.   So we possibly have a link, though I cannot see it at the moment.   Malcolm(Melbourne)
Morris,chad,nelson,craven,roberts..wales,worksop,middlesex.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 October 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
hi back malcolm,sorry ive only just seen your post..believe it or not most of henry morris children were born in carlton so i think this may be one and the same..i kept getting hits of a george morris being henrys father..maybe elizabeth married george and he either died,or she left him.ive noticed the youngest child is 3 years old,wondering if elizabeth was left a widow or something with very young children and remarried.i can find henry where he was born and when but thats it,no burial nothing.
thanks for putting up the census of the family and i really think this is the henry morris im looking for.
by the way who was your g grandmother?..and was it that line that came to australia?..henry morris"s two daughters moved to australia in 1912 which were beatrice and amanda.beatrice had her husband ernest and two girls grace brenda and edith with them.
regards
debbi...:)

Hi Debbie,   It would make more sense for Henry's father to have been a George Morris.    In that case I think his father George was baptised 4 January 1835 the son of William and Anne.   This William Morris was I think baptised 1st September 1806 at Blyth, Torworth the son of William Morris who married Elizebeth Turner at Blyth on 12 December 1797.    They had another son, namely Thomas baptised 25 September 1814 at Carlton-in-Lindrick and Thomas married 1. Alicia Hurst on 26 1839, and 2. Hannah Whitworth.
   Thomas and Alicia (Elesher in one Census) had a daughter Elizabeth Morris baptised 1 February 1841 and this is the Elizabeth Morris who was my great grandmother who married Charles Grant on 4 June 1866 at Gainsborough, Lincs.
    Elizabeth and Charles Grant both died from consumption by 1874 leaving my grandmother Harriet Grant and her brother William Grant very young orphans.
    The thing is that I was told that my grandmother was raised by the Hopkinson family of East Retford because her aunt was Ann Morris who married Charles Hopkinson.     But Ann Morris was actually the sister of the above said George Morris who may have been the father of Henry Morris.
     However, the 1881 census shows my grandmother Harriet Grant living with a Mary Morris who was born in Carlton-in-Lindrick aged 50.    I did manage to find this Mary Morris but would have to search for the details just now.
     No, it was myself that came to Melbourne, first time in 1956 for about a year and then I migrated with my family at the end of 1965.
     I did meet up with a Hopkinson descendant in East Retford on one trip home and he filled me in with many details.    Charles Hopkinson was a big Iron Founder and his company had an office in Brisbane.    Charles and Anne Morris had a son called Charles Hopkinson who was sent out to Queensland in the hope that it might cure his consumption but he died at Woolloongabba on 15 December 1890.   I have the death certificate.   Only 6 weeks in Queensland.    In the Brisbane Courier for 16th December there is not only a funeral notice but a description of the terrible storm that hit Brisbane the previous evening.  ... Church Spire damaged...rain driven into places normally watertight...at first blinding rain then heavy gusts of wind from the south....men and horses could scarcely make progress....rain came driven horizontally....then hailstones with street gutters covered with pellets of ice forming drifts several inches deep...tramcars ran off tracks...omnibus and cab horses were paralysed with fear and in an instance an omnibus was driven violently against a lamppost at Finney, Isles's Corner...by 6.30pm the worst had passed.   On the Sunday before a curious solar halo was observed in and around Brisbane 4 degrees in diameter.
    How dreadful to be buried in such circumstances.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello , my Morris family were from Leics so a different family but thought I would ask if anyone had come across a Stanley or Molly , they disappeared from Leics. kind regards, Sue

Offline Feral566

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 December 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
My MORRIS family are from the Lincolnshire/Northants area, Deeping Gate and Deeping St James  :)