Author Topic: wills  (Read 5375 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: wills
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 May 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
Also findmypast.com have a complete index of wills/letters of admin etc (at a price, naturally!)

Are you sure about this lambster? I can't find it  ???

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 May 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
Bron,
Thank you for your kind offer, PM to follow.
Thanks to everyone else who has posted on this thread for your help.  :)

Offline lambster134

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 May 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,
Sorry for late reply. Click on deaths and one of the options is the death duty registers...
Lambster
Self, Everett, Davey, Trudgill, Pearson in Norfolk
Self, Mullins in London
Tallack, Tonkin, Stribley in Cornwall
Tallack in Hampshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 May 07 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lambster

Thanks for that! I've had a look and it's a bit different from the National Probate Register - very useful, all the same  ;D

Thanks again

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 May 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
Death duty registers say WHO got what rather than the will where the deceased say who they would like to get what etc... obviously wills don't include the solicitors fee and taxes. Death duty files can stay open for years until all finances are cleared and the tax man has had his last penny.
The date 1943 as the last year on the National probate index is pure fluke. It happened because the NA filmed the archives held at one of the local records offices and that was the last date they had there.... no other reason  ;D

Pre-1858 the NA has the PCC (prerogatory court of Canterbury wills) but wills were held by the church and not all wills ended up in the PCC :o so you need to check local records offices if they hold any pre-1858. There are rules to where these wills are held but its a bit complicated. There is a small blue book called Probate Jurisdictions:where to look for wills by Jermey Gibson and Else Churchill that gives lots of details on where to look for wills. costs about 4.50 from FHS bookstalls

where did I get this info, from a chap from the NA who gave a talk on it today at the WDYTYALive Exhib in Olympia today.  ;)
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 May 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
All I can say is that if you do find a will of an ancestor, whether it be in the local record office or on the National Archives website, they can be an absolutely fascinating read.  Check out the Access to Archives catalogue database at:

http://www.a2a.org.uk

This may help you find local wills or even copies of unproven wills.  I found one where a lady left a bequest to her cousin, but only if she lived apart from her husband.  The mind boggles!  I'm still working on that one! ;)

Not all are quite so rivetting, but those that are make up for all the others!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad 10/2/1913 - 23/7/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
I found an Administration Record for my great, great grandfather at my local records office.

It stated when and where he died, his full address and his occupation.

FEK33  :D

BARTRAM - Leics / London  /  SELBY - Nottingham / Leicestershire  /  FLETCHER - Walton / Burton on the Wolds / Leicester  / MERRALL / MERRILL - Leicester / Australia NSW  /  TOMKINS - Leicester / PURDY - Langley Mills, Derbys / BIRTCHNELL - Leics / Ipswich / BOYER - Markfield, Woodhouse, Swithland, Leics  /  WELLS - Leicester /  MARSTON Derbys / Leics / WARD Shepshed / Leics / BLACK Loughborough / Leicester

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk